Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moved: Dana 44 breakage solution/1028's

Front 44 axle breakage answer ---- Dana 60 . M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

what is the M1028 ?? is that the GM military truck?iv seen GM front & rears at military surplus would they be the ones???

The M1008 CUCV (commercial utility cargo vehicle ) is Chevy 1 ton truck with a 5/4 ton military rating. The M1008 is the cargo and troop carrier version. It has a 6.2 diesel engine, Turbo 400 Tranny, NP208 Transfer case, Dana 60 front axle, 14 bolt Corp. with a Detroit Locker rear axle.
    A M1028 is the Shelter Carrier version of the M1008 . The M1028 is equipped with a Trac lock in the front Dana 60. Helper springs giving it a higher GVW , and tie down brackets for the comunications shelter.
    There are other versions too. M1008A1, M1010, M1028A1,M1031.Some have dual rear wheels and some even have a NP205 transfer case. These versions are rather hard to come by because they were produced in much smaller quanties than the more common M1008. ---- M1028

im not up on my GM trucks im a DODGE and JEEP person myself so how do i tell the 2 apart military surplus has 14 bolt and 1 ton 60 will i see a big diffrence to be able to tell them apart these rears are said to be gov rebuilt or new there still in crates and how much do i have to change to put it in the 715 THANKS

if you're at a mil. surplus place, and they have Dana 60's and 14bolts, chances are extremely good that they are from the M10XX series of trucks. The rear will almost HAVE TO BE swapped to disc, it's really really tight in there, the springs almost hit the drums, there isn't enough room to put the Ubolts on mine. The front will either have to have the spring pads mounted on the bottom, and a custom square Ubolt made, plus the associated steering component re-mating, or you do a springover.
    Not too much trouble either way but worth considering. The spring pads on the Jeeps are wider by a bit than the GM stuff. Worth doing. And where did you say that place was???? hehe
    **I heart Bump_r **

TACOMA these rears already have disc brakes so dose that mean just a liyyle work on the stearing and spring hangers?location? PA

If they already have discs, somethings up. Unless you mean the "front rears", a PA term I only recently learned.

Do you mean the front ends have discs? that's standard. If the "rear rear" has discs, that's not. Assuming for now that you mean the front axle, yeah, you'll have to move the spring hangers and some steering work. GM's have a goofy-assed boomerang pitman arm attachment, that will have to be swapped to crossover. Million ways to do it, all on the internet, 4x4 shops etc..
    **I heart Bump_r **

TACOMA sorry for the confusion i do mean front axles. I talked to a diffrent guy at mil surplus today and found out the front axles they have are not DANA 60 they only have 6 lug bolt pattern. i will keep looking THANKS for your help 455

If your interested in a set , I have several sets for sale in Paxinos, Pa. 17860. M1028

minus one, already sold, RIGHT? hehe..
    **I heart Bump_r **