Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bellhousing?

Default What bellhousing?

Anyone have part numbers on bell housing and clutch parts to mate a GM NV4500 to a military 6.2 diesel? Is this a stock setup or are we talking AA?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if you could get the 4500 behind the 6.2L, but you could with the 6.5L and they should have the same bell housing. If not High Impact has the bell housings for $275.

I have the GM bellhousing that came with my NV4500. The trans. is a '95 and came bolted to a 6.5 diesel. The slave cylinder goes right in near the starter. Are you looking to replace yours?? I will be selling mine soon, and might have an interest in yours....

Quote Originally Posted by poolmike View Post
    I have the GM bellhousing that came with my NV4500. The trans. is a '95 and came bolted to a 6.5 diesel. The slave cylinder goes right in near the starter. Are you looking to replace yours?? I will be selling mine soon, and might have an interest in yours....
    Yes, I am looking to replace mine. Tom Lawlor modified a Lakewood bellhousing to mount the NV4500 and fabbed a mechanical clutch linkage when he put the t is drivetrain together. The clutch catches all the way at the bottom and I am getting a squeal when the clutch is all the wqy in. I want to swap it out for a stock unit and slave cylinder. Looking for everything that fits between the 6.2 and NV4500.

Well, I have the stock GM housing with throwout fork. It does not work with my 4bt set up, so I bought a AA bell. I will call Gump tomorrow to figure out how he violated the lakewood bh. I might need that something else.

You do know that the NV4500 has two versions, the gas and the diesel. as far as I know, they are not interchangeable.

Two versions....'95 and earlier then '96 and newer. For Chebbies anyway.

Your right, I'm thinking of the dodge trannies.

I wrote you a PM, but let me write it again. Don't use the bell with the slave cylinder next to the starter! The front drive shaft hits the slave cover after about 1/4" of movement. I ground my cover off to give me 1/2" of clearance and lowered the front passenger side axle bump stop down 3". I still get contact with the drive shaft some. But, with my lock out hubs the shaft isn't normally spinning and I don't know it.

Matter of fact, during the Texas FE we did a convoy over about 70 miles of road. Some of these roads had rolling hills. The kind where if you are going fast enough you feel light in the stomach. Sermis was riding in front with me and our 3 boys were in the bed seat. We got up to 50 for a few miles on the rolling hills. At the bottom of the dips, I started feeling something grinding. After a few miles of "What the heck is that noise?" we figured out it was the front drive shaft hitting the bell under spring compression.

Unless you do a spring over, don't use this bell.

Mike, sorry to ruin your sale but I had to warn him of my experience.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Great information and thanks. Does the issue go away with SOA? As soon as I find a GM Dana 60 front axle I will do the SOA with a couple of leaves removed (planning on addressing the bellhousing/clutch issue at that time) so I can handle 40" tires. I have a 14 bolt with Detroit, disk brakes and 5.13 gears ready to go. Also have a 1 ton hydroboost setup.

I have had several people tell me not to use the bellhousing with the internal slave cylinder because you have to pull the transmission to replace. Seems like the setup you are discribing is the external version but you have issues. If SOA will prevent me from having the same isn't that the way to go?