Thread: insulating a M725

Default insulating a M725

Good evening, say I was wondering if anyone stripped the interior of sheet metal to insulate the walls and cab area of a M725? It looks like a job, but up here in North Dakota it maybe worth it.

This question should probably be moved to the modified or general forum. But as one who lives in the great white north and owns a M725 I would like to know too. I don't remember ever seeing anything on doing it.

I see you live in western ND. I worked in Dickinson for a year and Williston longer. Are you in the oilfield business?

Quote Originally Posted by motorman605 View Post
    Good evening, say I was wondering if anyone stripped the interior of sheet metal to insulate the walls and cab area of a M725? It looks like a job, but up here in North Dakota it maybe worth it.
    I just insulated the cab on my '72 IH pickup with 1/2" Dynaliner. It's self-adhesive closed-cell foam that would probably work pretty well for what your looking to do, but you're probably gonna need to own a few producing oil wells to pay for it-- it's pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by motorman605 View Post
    I have a member friend that removed the interior panels and insulated it with the pink rigid foam from HomeDepot or Lowes. Riveted the panels back on. Proper mastic should be used
    Leave no soldier behind

My question and answer is this: is there any insulation in it at all from the factory? I have no way to tell on my M725 as I never have drilled out any of my rivets to look inside. I live in northern N.Y., and I learned that with a thin area to insulate, spray foam has a much higher R-value over fiberglass. But, it is a lot more expensive per cubic foot. And, not necessarily a DIY project. You should let the pros do it. That is how I insulated my summer place that has 2x4 wall construction.
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

Quote Originally Posted by MJCougler View Post
    My question and answer is this: is there any insulation in it at all from the factory? I have no way to tell on my M725 as I never have drilled out any of my rivets to look inside. I live in northern N.Y., and I learned that with a thin area to insulate, spray foam has a much higher R-value over fiberglass. But, it is a lot more expensive per cubic foot. And, not necessarily a DIY project. You should let the pros do it. That is how I insulated my summer place that has 2x4 wall construction.
    If it's anything like an M43, it's insulated with fiberglass batting. The batting in my old M43 had broken down over the years and didn't feel all that effective, though.

Spray urethane might be a good choice, but you're right-- it would have to professionally applied because it has to be applied at a consistent & precise thickness to account for expansion. Over-application would create a world-class mess, I would think.