Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stock seat project

Should be flat.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I read somewhere on SS that someone rolled up foam and stacked them inside the large springs. Kept the seats from being too bouncy. I might try that. If it doesn't work, it'd only take a few minutes to take them out.

Scott

I put foam in mine...helped a LOT!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Well, the seat cover set arrived today from Surplus City Jeep parts:

The seat back contains a 2" foam pad, and the bottom contains a fibre 1/2" pad and a 1" foam pad. Also comes with the tie string. Looks like it matches the OEM stuff I took off. All this for $69.95. And that's for one seat only. Ouch.

But, new tops and seat covers really make the truck.......

Will install tomorrow afternoon (with photos for the reading impaired). I'd do them now, but I just tried to eat a 2 pound burger challenge and not feeling very nice now.

Scott

Seat project complete. Here's what I did, with captions underneath photos:

This is the bare passenger seat. I used a couple two-by-fours to hold the seat steady while working on it. The installation instructions say to remove the seat back completely, but after completing the project, I see no need to remove them.

They give you a 1 inch foam pad loose. They recommend to temporarily tie it with string to hold it, but it will probably work loose in the future, so I came up with slitting it with a knife and using small plastic wire ties. Fold it over the front of the seat more than the rear, as it will get more of the force of your behind. I used four ties on each end, tying it into each spring assy.

Then install the fibre pad. Notice it is has about a 1 inch overhang sewn into it. I put the seam at the rear of the seat.

Next install the bottom cover. It goes on only one way, so be careful. The instructions say which end is the front. Pull it snug from front to back and make sure it is centered. Double check the fibre pad to see if it moved or not. Make sure the rear corners are tucked in correctly. I took a coat hanger and looped it thru the center of the front and back overhang to hold it in place. Compress the springs slightly to get more of the flaps to overhang the plywood, then tighten the wire. Leave a wire cutters handy, you'll need it next step.

They give you two OD shoestrings. At first I thought it would be easier with one, but after doing it, it was easier with two. Tie a double knot on the very end of both strings first. Make sure they don't pull thru the grommets. Notice I started in the bottom corner, up then over. Hold the string. Do the other one. Hold both strings like in the photo. Cut the wire coat hanger and remove the pieces. Feed one string thru the bottom center, then the next string. Keeping tension on the strings, start from the knot end and begin tightening the strings one grommet at a time, grabbing the flaps and pulling on them. Keep tugging and compressing the springs to get all the flaps over the plywood and centered.

Last step is to feed one string at a time thru the upper grommet, holding some tension on the whole thing. It's tough, but it'll work. Pull on both strings, work both strings from the knot end again, pulling tighter and tighter. Double check the cover for squareness again. Pull extra tight one very last time, then make a knot with the two strings. You're done.

To the seat backs, they are easy. Pull the cover over the seat back. Tuck it down by the lower cushion, and pull it down tight from the bottom. Make sure the upper part is snug and correct to the top of the seat back. Pull the strings out the back of the seat, one each on the top and bottom of the angle support, and double tie it on. You're done.

Here's what they look like complete. I did these on the floor in front of a sofa, with a rug on the carpet. Sometimes I needed my feet to hold the lower section down while pulling on the seat cover. Obviously you could use two people to do this, but I didn't have that choice. The first seat took about 1/2 hour, mostly trying to figure out how to route the bottom strings. The second seat took 10 minutes. They sit firm right now, but of course I haven't installed them to see how they ride.

Notice that I removed both the fire extinguisher and the decontaminator brackets so the bolt heads don't tear into the new covers.

Scott

Looks good, nice job! Nice loking workshop too!

DaveJ
    DaveJ

Great job and great writeup...that is fine work Scott!

Seats look good....just too much skin

They look good, will be doing mine this summer to get the bright green vinyl my FD put on them years ago. thanks for the tutorial.

Duane

This should be a sticky