Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Best $1,000 to spend

Forgot I had the wheels sandblasted, then I coated with three coats of 2K epoxy, then three coats of paint, then new tubes, flaps, meat.

Probably sitting at $450 or so for that whole project, with paint and stuff. Tires were a sweet score from a guy in Denver via Craigs.

Started to post stuff to YouTube.

FLAP AND TUBE INSTALL
    SAFETY SPLIT RING INSTALL

$300ish for Gronk's 2 Barrel MC2100 upgrade
    $200 for Classic Tube stainless lines (also converting to DOT5 when I do the brakes next month)
    $150 for front and back bench seats from a Grand Wagoneer (bench to go in bed for kids)
    ~$150 for Pertronix
    ~$120 for spark plugs (holy smokes, guys that sucked, 6 @ about $20 with tax, shipped)
    ~$100 for fluids and filters
    $450 wheels stripped, 2K epoxy, paint, flaps, tubes, tires
    $100 4 E350 cylinders (2-Dorman W37263, 2-Dorman W37262, $50) and Corvette dual MC (Dorman M56193, $50), all on Amazon.
    $140 for seat belts from Wesco (6 of them, 3 front/3 back)

$1,610 as of 3/4/19

$5,000 truck cost, ebay
    $1,000 shipping from Iowa
    $1,610 spent so far that I can remember
    $7,610

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSpringsRob View Post
    $300ish for Gronk's 2 Barrel MC2100 upgrade
    $200 for Classic Tube stainless lines (also converting to DOT5 when I do the brakes next month)
    $150 for front and back bench seats from a Grand Wagoneer (bench to go in bed for kids)
    ~$150 for Pertronix
    ~$120 for spark plugs (holy smokes, guys that sucked, 6 @ about $20 with tax, shipped)
    ~$100 for fluids and filters
    $450 wheels stripped, 2K epoxy, paint, flaps, tubes, tires
    $100 4 E350 cylinders (2-Dorman W37263, 2-Dorman W37262, $50) and Corvette dual MC (Dorman M56193, $50), all on Amazon.
    $140 for seat belts from Wesco (6 of them, 3 front/3 back)

$1,610 as of 3/4/19

$5,000 truck cost, ebay
    $1,000 shipping from Iowa
    $1,610 spent so far that I can remember
    $7,610
    I gotta ask: 1. Are those plugs military? They're hideously expensive-- mine were like $5. 2. Where'd you get a deal like that on tires? Mine (all in) were $1300-ish.

Yes, military plugs, painfully expensive. What plugs do you use?

Regarding the tires, I scored those on Craigslist. It was one of those days where I thought 'Hey, I need tires, lets look on Craigs...' and I did a search for Power King Super Traction, and lo and behold, a fresh set of four, brand new, were posted for $300. I got lucky. The guy sold me tubes and flaps too. Sometimes God smiles on my project, and this was that kind of day.

Now, the untold story here is that God had a lesson to teach me. Driving up to Denver to pick them up, I got pulled over by a highway patrol officer, and he happily gave me a ticket for expired tag (but he did not smile much), which resulted in him impounding my truck immediately, a hefty impound fee, an expensive ticket, and the cost of a ride back to Colorado Springs in an Uber, which was not cheap. All because my tag was expired by a couple of months. I even explained that I was getting tires for my M715, and this did not sway him in the least. Usually when I play the M715 card, I get special treatment, but not that day.

So, one could say that I should really list the tires as $800+, and that would be most accurate and reflective of the true cost to me for those tires, but I am attempting to not commingle my irresponsibility into these numbers...
    Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; March 6th, 2019 at 03:15 PM.

Wow... Colorado doesn’t play with expired tags. Normally I would think that would be a ticket but not an impound.

I was shocked when he said 'Get out of the truck, the wrecker is on its way.'

They don't play in Colorado. I think they probably arrest you for lack of insurance, and give you five years breaking rocks for a dead tail light. Beware!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSpringsRob View Post
    Yes, military plugs, painfully expensive. What plugs do you use?

Regarding the tires, I scored those on Craigslist. It was one of those days where I thought 'Hey, I need tires, lets look on Craigs...' and I did a search for Power King Super Traction, and lo and behold, a fresh set of four, brand new, were posted for $300. I got lucky. The guy sold me tubes and flaps too. Sometimes God smiles on my project, and this was that kind of day.

Now, the untold story here is that God had a lesson to teach me. Driving up to Denver to pick them up, I got pulled over by a highway patrol officer, and he happily gave me a ticket for expired tag (but he did not smile much), which resulted in him impounding my truck immediately, a hefty impound fee, an expensive ticket, and the cost of a ride back to Colorado Springs in an Uber, which was not cheap. All because my tag was expired by a couple of months. I even explained that I was getting tires for my M715, and this did not sway him in the least. Usually when I play the M715 card, I get special treatment, but not that day.

So, one could say that I should really list the tires as $800+, and that would be most accurate and reflective of the true cost to me for those tires, but I am attempting to not commingle my irresponsibility into these numbers...
    Champion L87YC or Autolite 375, I can't remember which-- I took that info from my M715 notes. They work great, whichever ones they are. Cheap, too.

I ran a set of Super Tractions on my M43, and they were excellent off road. On road, they wore really quickly. Watch out for deep, soft surfaces-- you will dig your own grave nearly instantly: picture an M43 ambulance, a sandy beach by a lake, and an idiot with no tools or recovery gear at the wheel. It was a long day digging with my hands and cutting willow branches with my pocket knife to stuff under the tires as I slowly made my way out of there.

I didn't know CO was so hard on expired tags these days. Back in the 90's, it was a wrist-slap offense. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I ran a set of Super Tractions on my M43, and they were excellent off road. On road, they wore really quickly. Watch out for deep, soft surfaces-- you will dig your own grave nearly instantly...
    true. And with lockers in both axles you can get twice as stuck twice as fast.
    In the second pic I stopped before the axles hit the ground.

IMG_20160423_121804354 by kerry walker, on Flickr

IMG_20160423_193000173_HDR by kerry walker, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    true. And with lockers in both axles you can get twice as stuck twice as fast.
    In the second pic I stopped before the axles hit the ground.

IMG_20160423_121804354 by kerry walker, on Flickr

IMG_20160423_193000173_HDR by kerry walker, on Flickr
    I had a Hercules DT3.7 diesel in that M43, and had the running boards on the ground a few times while out in the sticks that spring. It was really rainy for months.