Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock Steering Coupling Bell-Shaped thingy elimination

Here is the whole shaft installed. Sorry about all of the hydroboost and brake hoses in the way but you get the picture:

Close up of the vibration reducer u-joint that is on the steering box end of the shaft:

Close up of the u-joint on the column end, this is where I ground down the factory steering shaft (after cutting off the bottom 'T' piece) to a 3/4 DD:

1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

These next 3 pictures show the end of the column and how it looks after being modified:

Here is the shaft completely out of the truck:

One other safety factor on this is that the shaft is now collapsible, which is important if the truck was ever in a front end collision, the steering wheel wouldn't come shooting at me, the shaft would collapse 4-5 inches and hopefully lessen injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Here is my guess on parts from Borgeson - please correct me if I am off base.

shaft - 450024 - telescoping shaft, 21-27 inch, 3/4" DD & 1" DD
    box u-joint - 014940 - 3/4" DD & 13/16" x 36 spline
    column u-joint - 014952 - 1" DD & 3/4" DD

The column shaft would have to be ground to 3/4" DD.

These are priced around $225 from Summit. Sure Brent would be cheaper

Would love to see pics.
    Those part numbers look correct to me, I couldn't find my factory steering box to double check (I have a power steering box from a 85ish Grand Wagoneer which is 3/4-30 spline).

The only issue I see with your setup is you are running a ujoint on the box and on the column. Since the rag joint has been eliminated, the vibration reducer that I put on is meant to replace that, if you don't you will get a lot more road vibrations up to the steering wheel and as we ALL know, these M715's are already not the easiest or the most comfortable to drive so every little bit helps.

Looks like with the shaft (cut to the correct length), the vibration reducer at the box and the ujoint to the column we could do a kit for about $260 or so, if there is enough interest I will set up a page on the webstore.

Jester Guest

OK, so how much and when can we order?

I gotta say it....

That is absolutely beautiful!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 67M715 View Post
    Those part numbers look correct to me, I couldn't find my factory steering box to double check (I have a power steering box from a 85ish Grand Wagoneer which is 3/4-30 spline).
    I was guessing on my listing. I can double check my power steering box and the manual one in the junk pile.

The only issue I see with your setup is you are running a ujoint on the box and on the column. Since the rag joint has been eliminated, the vibration reducer that I put on is meant to replace that, if you don't you will get a lot more road vibrations up to the steering wheel and as we ALL know, these M715's are already not the easiest or the most comfortable to drive so every little bit helps.
    True. I was being cheap but the vibration reducer would be a big help.

Looks like with the shaft (cut to the correct length), the vibration reducer at the box and the ujoint to the column we could do a kit for about $260 or so, if there is enough interest I will set up a page on the webstore.
    I am interested. Isn't that enough? Since I have already tossed all the rag joint and tulip thingy, I gotta do it. Its just a matter of where in the process and what parts.

BTW - did you go with steel or bling all out with stainless?

Default Great looking part

I'll take one too.
    Nick

Digging this one back up!
    I just ended up ordering the exact same parts for my swap. Seems like the best way to do it. Certainly not the most cost effective, but I think it'll work out real nice. I almost saved the $35 and didn't get a vibration dampener joint, but I figured since I'm rebuilding everything else it would be worth it. If someone else wants to do something similar but for less money, there is a much less expensive way. I used a jeep YJ saginaw "76" box and it came with the stock steering shaft. The stock shaft is just like this one, 3/4"DD x 1"DD but the upper joint is meant for a 1" shaft, while the 715 is a 3/4" shaft. Conceivably, you could use the YJ shaft and just buy a single new upper joint (1"DD x 3/4"DD) to connect the YJ shaft to the 715 column shaft. For some reason the YJ uses the vibration dampener at the top of the shaft, so you'd have to buy one of those if you wanted to have one. My YJ shaft was trashed, so I didn't consider it but I think it would still be a good option. The YJ shaft would also have to be trimmed a couple inches, but that's easy. There are plenty of vehicles that use that shaft, so you could always find a decent one at the junkyard to save a few bucks and buy new joints for it too... Here is the list of parts I ordered (the YJ box is 3/4"x30 spline). I also ordered a Grant wheel and adapter, for a little more leg room.

Part Number Part Description Price
    BRG-014952 U JOINT $75.72
    BRG-034931 U-JOINT $110.24
    BRG-450024 24" TELESCOPIC SHAFT $74.97
    GRT-414 STEERING WHEEL 13 1/2 BLK $49.95
    GRT-4403 INSTALLATION KIT $22.95

Default Steering shaft 69 M715

What would be the size shaft and spline of the upper shaft in the steering column.
    I am also looking to do a conversion .
    Possible to save lower rag joint but using upper u-joint.
    If this will not work, need part numbers on 2-u-joints (upper and lower) and part # on DD shaft. (Bourgeson)
    Thanks.