Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Axles that can be swapped in place of the stock axles

I used an M1008 rear 14-bolt. Moved perches, had to rotate the calipers to clear the springs. Used 20x11 wheels with 3.5 b/s. Everything clears fine.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by loosewrenchcowboy View Post
    Tomahawk-
    did you use a single rear wheel 14 bolt axle? if so how did you get the correct width(wms to wms)? and if you used a dually rear 14 bolt(like JP was going to do-but i missed that issue), how did you get the brake rotor and caliper spaced properly?

Single rear wheel--and like everyone else stated above--I had to weld new spring perches on and switched to discs. Well actually I've done it twice--first 14 bolt I got had 4.10s that didnt match my Dana60 4.56 cucv axle. Picked up a gear set and housing to swap in but then found a 14 with 4.56s that was a heck of alot cleaner and cost less than I was going to pay for gear swap. So did it again (anyone looking for a 14 bolt with 4.10s??)

But Randy is correct--If you can find the one ton van axle go that way. I just couldnt find one at any yard anywhere close.

I wouldnt move the axles inboard myself--way too much work to do it right then you end up with narrower base--besides you dont want the 14bolt drums anyway. Heavy as sin and cheaper to just buy the disc brake stuff and be done with it. Price those drum parts and the discs--easy choice.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk715 View Post
    --besides you dont want the 14bolt drums anyway. Heavy as sin and cheaper to just buy the disc brake stuff and be done with it. Price those drum parts and the discs--easy choice.
    Just for grins, I sat one drum and backing plate loaded with shoes and hardware onto a set of scales here. It weighed in at 65 lbs!!!

That is 130 lbs you lose right away and probably replace it with half that. And it stops better too.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Anyone know of a bolt-in front axle that's as Plug-N-Play as the rear Swampthang posted about? And preferably with the same bolt pattern. If so, let's add it to this Sticky! Thanks, ST!
    Yep, Dana 70 from a CJ10A airplane tug. At 80" WMS/WMS you won't have to worry about going to disc brakes and they are stock 4.88.

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Just for grins, I sat one drum and backing plate loaded with shoes and hardware onto a set of scales here. It weighed in at 65 lbs!!!

That is 130 lbs you lose right away and probably replace it with half that. And it stops better too.

My guess would have been 70 per lol And like I said check in to the price for one of those ba##ards--they are pretty proud of em---

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk715 View Post
    My guess would have been 70 per lol And like I said check in to the price for one of those ba##ards--they are pretty proud of em---
    Yep, the drums are pricey. And they usually can't be turned more than once before they are at the limit.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Wink CJ10a axle

Quote Originally Posted by Grantshire View Post
    Yep, Dana 70 from a CJ10A airplane tug. At 80" WMS/WMS you won't have to worry about going to disc brakes and they are stock 4.88.
    I picked up one of these axles a couple of months ago. The WMS to WMS on it is about 75.5" or so. I wonder if there were different versions? This one is the Dana 70u, 4.88 gears, and powerlock. The spring perches were already moved so I can't say how close it is to stock. I'm planning on using H1 beadlocks with this axle and a DRW Chevy Dana 60 front, as soon as I can find one for $300
    Last edited by jlogan; January 20th, 2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: speling

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jlogan View Post
    I picked up one of these axles a couple of months ago. The WMS to WMS on it is about 75.5" or so. I wonder if there were different versions? This one is the Dana 70u, 4.88 gears, and powerlock. The spring perches were already moved so I can't say how close it is to stock. I'm planning on using H1 beadlocks with this axle and a DRW Chevy Dana 60 front, as soon as I can find one for $300
    80" may be one of those internet myths where wrong information gets quoted so many times it gets accepted as fact. After reading your post I went out and measured mine; 75.5"!

My apologies to all for the error.

Now, $300 for a GM 60 is a different story...

Hey Grantshire, if you get a chance would you mind measuring the spacing for the spring perches on the cj10a axle? I would check mine but the perches were already cut off when I got it. It looks like they may have been close to our trucks stock spring width. The info may be helpful for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by jlogan View Post
    Hey Grantshire, if you get a chance would you mind measuring the spacing for the spring perches on the cj10a axle? I would check mine but the perches were already cut off when I got it. It looks like they may have been close to our trucks stock spring width. The info may be helpful for someone else.
    Will do but it will be Tuesday evening at the earliest (home late tonight and it's dark when I leave in the AM). As you can see from these CJ10A pictures they are going to be pretty close:

The CJ10A has a FSJ frame and the rear springs are outboarded.