Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M725 fuel tank filler hose, Tail lights and broken rear spring mount

Bear Falg:

I had to do a modification fuel filler hose repair on my M725 because the rubber 45-degree hose is no longer available.

First I ordered a Goodyear 59204 2 1/2" 45-degree filler hose. Then, as I was purchasing all the other parts I list below, I made sure they all fit together correctly. It is very important to try-fit or dry-fit each piece as you go (before using the JB weld or PVC glue) to see how each piece will fit together!

I used JB Weld to "glue" an exhaust pipe 4" to 2 1/2 inch adapter over the fuel tank inlet pipe. Later, the Goodyear 2 1/2- inch 45-degree fuel filler hose (P/N 59204) will fit over the exhaust pipe adapter with two stainless hose clamps. Keep in mind, each end of the rubber hose will have to be gradually trimmed to "fit".

Next I made an adapter using PVC pipe. I used PVC pipe glue to bond a short piece (5-6") of 2 1/2-inch (OD) PVC pipe into a PVC 2 1/2 (ID) to 4" (ID) pipe adapter. With the Metal fuel filler assembly removed from the body, dry-fit and later use JB weld to "glue" the PVC pipe adapter over the stock 4" (OD) metal filler tube.

Then, inside the area where the metal filler tube fits into the M725 body, I had to trim some of the metal so the PVC adapter would fit into the area. Try-fit as you go to make sure enough metal is removed. As the filler tube is now reinstalled into the body, dry-fit and check the length of the 2 1/2" PVC pipe to "see" how it will fit into the 2 1/2 inch rubber filler hose. Trim the hose a little at a time to "fit" in the area. Finally trim the 2 1/2" PVC pipe for a good mate angle with the rubber hose. As I finally clamped each end of the rubber hose with two stainless hose clamps, I made sure I used plenty of non-hardening Permatex to help "seal" the hose to the PVC pipe and the 2 1/2" muffler adapter.

Many Zoners have told me that over time, they believe ethanol will gradually deteriorate the PVC and the JB weld.

Here is a URL for the Goodyear 59204 hose:

http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=10414

Gates also manufactures a rubber 45-degree, 2 1/2- inch fuel filler hose.

I have a picture of this adapter in my 'zone User CP photo album.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

Default UPDATE: Gates 24714 Fuel Hose, 2-1/2" - 45 Degree

UPDATE:

Today I tried to find the Goodyear 59204 2 1/2" 45-degree filler hose and I could not find it.

This product was previously manufactured by Goodyear Engineered Products- Veyance Technologies until January of 2015... this legal entity was acquired by Continental AG of Germany and became part of their ContiTech Industrial Products Division. And, again today, I could not find it.

Gates 24714 Fuel Hose, 2-1/2" - 45 Degree is still available on Amazon.

mjc
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

I may have posted this before, the ambulance filler hose can be purchased here.
    http://www.army-spareparts.com/shop/...se-filler-m725

I think they are located in Greece, they have some hard to find M715/725 parts.

I purchased the 725 filler hose from this Greek company, very satisfied with the hose and and the transaction.

Very helpful. Thank you!