Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NP 205 mods for brake mount

Default NP 205 mods for brake mount

I'm about to start this mod and would love to see some pics of exactly what it involves, specifically the machining that need to be done on seal retainer.

I'm assuming the plate that holds the brake band gets sandwiched between the transfer case body and the seal retainer, does this require longer studs?

All advice and pictures appreciated. All the old threads I can find on this topic are now missing their pictures.

The bearing retainer on your NP200 is the mount for the brake band. One piece.

It'll bolt up to the back of the 205 but the bearings are different. SO the retainer needs to be machined to match the old bearing retainer you're replacing.

Then you need to get a flange for the output shaft and a yoke.

The drum bolts to the back of the flange (between flange and transfer case). I had the back of the flange milled down for the drum.

Venominjected has a link to a good youtube video in his build thread. Has some good closeups of the parking brake.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Excellent description, thank you. I look forward to the pictures.

IMG_20180320_154903212 by kerry walker, on Flickr

IMG_20180320_154850398 by kerry walker, on Flickr

IMG_20180330_164132760 by kerry walker, on Flickr

IMG_20180416_100418044 by kerry walker, on Flickr

IMG_20180416_100407950 by kerry walker, on Flickr

I forgot to take more pics during the process.

I can't remember where I got the flange and matching yoke. The bolt pattern on the drum is different, had to drill new holes in it.

That's so helpful, thanks very much. I already have the yoke and flange, just trying to really understand the job before I start it and you've been a great help there.

Here is Ford NP205 (left) and the NP200 (right) It is missing the 'relief' for the NP205 bearing.

Now that the relief or "groove" is put in... it can now sit flush against the back of the NP205 and hold the bearing into the case correctly.

Please note: You will also have to take a dust cut of an 1/8" or more I believe on the back neck.... This allows a common flange to sit deep enough into the NP205. (The top most surface of the picture below atop the 'neck' has been shaved down I want to say almost 3/16" if I recall correctly. You can figure this out by measuring the original NP200 seal bore depth... and the new NP205 seal thickness... subtract and remove material accordingly.

I also faced the back side of the flange slightly in order to put a "pilot bore" for the Drum to ride on as its mounted to the face vs. relying on the accuracy of the bolt pattern to hold it 'concentric'

Very happy with the results.

Last edited by venominjected; May 6th, 2019 at 06:29 PM.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Very nice!

Awesome, exactly the info and pics I was looking for, I know exactly where I'm at now. Thanks for the time and effort to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    Here is Ford NP205 (left) and the NP200 (right) It is missing the 'relief' for the NP205 bearing.

Now that the relief or "groove" is put in... it can now sit flush against the back of the NP205 and hold the bearing into the case correctly.

Please note: You will also have to take a dust cut of an 1/8" or more I believe on the back neck.... This allows a common flange to sit deep enough into the NP205. (The top most surface of the picture below atop the 'neck' has been shaved down I want to say almost 3/16" if I recall correctly. You can figure this out by measuring the original NP200 seal bore depth... and the new NP205 seal thickness... subtract and remove material accordingly.

I also faced the back side of the flange slightly in order to put a "pilot bore" for the Drum to ride on as its mounted to the face vs. relying on the accuracy of the bolt pattern to hold it 'concentric'

Very happy with the results.

Want to do another for a fellow Pirate?

:flipoff2:

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Want to do another for a fellow Pirate?

:flipoff2:

Those NP200 flange plates/drums/bands are kinda like unicorn horns.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205