Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Not again!!!

Default Not again!!!

So, new coil, new Pertronix ignition installed on Friday 30 June. Truck fires up immediately and I'm happy. Saturday, 1 July I take her out for her maiden voyage to the local cruise night. Truck runs perfectly, to and from show. I'm happy once again. Put truck in garage and thank the lord my new parts fixed my issue. Tuesday, 4th of July, I go to start truck to go to the local parade. Truck cranks no problem, fuel delivery, no problem. It appears that I have no spark once again. Back to square one once again! How is this freaking possible?
    I have not gone inside the ignitor to check for loose connections yet, but I highly doubt this is the problem. Was I sent a bad coil, (Chinese), or can somebody please come up with another reason this is happening. How can it go from running great Saturday, after new parts were installed, to not starting once again on Tuesday. I'm frustrated and now totally apprehensive about putting my truck out on the road in traffic again. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Not sure, but are you sure voltage is getting to the ignitor when you turn the switch on?

Sorry to hear of your misfortune once again.
    Hard to tell what may have failed without going through the usual routine with a volt/ohm meter.
    Start with testing voltage at the ignitor lead as Don has already mentioned.

The Pertronix unit is easy to test.
    http://www.ttalk.info/Tech/PerNegGndTest.htm

My bet is on the Chinese coil, as they seem to have a bad track record.

I'm running on my last NOS coil. I'm debating on spending big bucks for a complete NOS ingitor unit, just to have on hand.
    Last edited by jeepdan; July 5th, 2017 at 07:41 AM.

I once had a goofy problem like that several years back. The problem was in the dist. cap. If you pulled the cap and ran a piece of emory cloth across the rotor contact point, it would run and run fine all day, but if parked overnight it would not start again until you pull the cap and polished the button. The cap looked fine and there were no cracks and no discoloration on the button, but it would not run unless I did the trick. I ordered a new cap and rotor and once installed never had the problem again, and that was like 7 or 8 years ago. Sometimes it can be the oddest things that keep them from running. It took me several days to figure that one out, and I had tried replacing several other things before finding it.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

I've done the emery cloth thing on the rotor. Looks shiny and like new. I'm going to try jeepdan's testing with a multimeter. I hope the instructions are clear, because I'm not the best when it comes to using the multimeter for testing. I may have to ask more questions here on the Zone. I'm pretty good at following instructions.
    I will certainly keep all of you informed. Thanks for your replies.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Can someone give me a step by step procedure on how to test the voltage at the ignitor lead? Distributor cap off? Where do I set the reading on multimeter? What should the meter read? etc. Sorry to be a pain, but just not sure how to use the expensive meter I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Not sure, but are you sure voltage is getting to the ignitor when you turn the switch on?
    That's a great question Don, but my concern would be, why when I first tried it, did the truck fire up immediately? Also, the next day she fired right up and ran great to and from our local cruise night. She sat in garage from Saturday night until Tuesday morning and then nothing.

I know the Chinese made coils can be a pain, but I'm just not sure if that's the problem this time. The seller of the coil assured me it was new and in working order. I have to take his word on it.
    Once I know the proper way to test the voltage going to the ignitor, I'll go from there I guess.

It might not be the coil.
    And he probably did sell you a coil that was new, and in working order.
    It's just that many of them appear to fail in a short time of use.

I wish that I lived closer to you, I would be glad to help you trouble shoot the gremlin.

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    I've done the emery cloth thing on the rotor. Looks shiny and like new. I'm going to try jeepdan's testing with a multimeter. I hope the instructions are clear, because I'm not the best when it comes to using the multimeter for testing. I may have to ask more questions here on the Zone. I'm pretty good at following instructions.
    I will certainly keep all of you informed. Thanks for your replies.
    My problem was not with the rotor, but with the cap. Inside the cap where the rotor touches the button on the cap.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/