Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Not again!!!

While I'm threatening to pack it in and just leave the truck sit for a period, the truth is I'll keep searching for the problem. As I said before, as I've gotten older, I've also learned to not get over anxious and get upset. One step at a time. I guess the best thing to do is end this subject until I get it all worked out.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

check your capacitor. power goes thru it to the coil. mine only had 3 strands still connected to it. I soldered a new wire onto mine. the wire from capacitor goes to the coil.

Thanks Jimmie, but if I'm correct, a capacitor and a condenser are one in the same, (correct me if I'm wrong please). With that being said, I removed the points and condenser and replaced with the Pertronics ignition system, no points or condenser.
    My second supposedly new coil just arrived via U.S. Mail today. When I get a chance I'll install it and see what happens this time. I also need to check the lead coming into the distributor to make sure I'm getting a full 24v. I pray this solves the problem, because I don't know where to go next on this issue. Plus the fine folks on this website by now must be getting tired of listening to me talk about my truck/coil. Thanks again.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

It's like a murder mystery! If they don't want to read about it, they can pass it over. For me, I like reading all the possibilities on how people fix stuff. Personally, I'd like to know what is or is not working.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

The ignotor actually has two capacitors. (Condenser was the term used for a capacitor back in the 30s-70s or so. Like changing cycles to hertz, the electronics industry decided to change terms).

One capacitor is part of the power connector. The 24 volt power lead connects to it in the side of the ignitor and that power passes through on its way to the + of the coil (It's used to reduce radio frequency interference). The second capacitor (called the condenser) is connected to the points. It reduces the arc of the points. Tue truck would not run long (if at all) without it because the points would erode away.

So, you actually have two capacitors/condensers. If you look in the parts manual, the pictures show the two capacitors and their locations.

Even with the Pertronix setup, you still have the feed through capacitor because it is the power connector.

Thanks Don, my head is now spinning. I received the 2nd new coil today in the mail. I totally removed the distributor cap from the ignitor cover. Inspected it and used a piece of emery cloth on all the contact points, spring, rotor contacts, etc.
    As for testing for 24v at the ignitor, the connection in the side is pretty tight. I'll try again, but I don't want to break it. Can I test at the +/- terminals of the coil? Or does it need to be done at the wire lead coming from the ignition switch to the ignitor?

I thought I was going to back off on this post, but as long as guys seem to want to help, I'm all in.

OK, I am shooting from the hip now because I am in Australia and can't walk out to the garage and look at my truck.

Looking at the -20 Maintenance Manual, Chapter 2, Section 14, Figure 2-35, you should get 24 volts on the left terminal of the coil when the ignition switch is "ON".

That feed through capacitor is contained inside of the power connector, lower right part of the picture.

That would make sense to me Don. The only wires coming into the ignitor are the red and black from the ignition switch lead. Also Don, I was wrong when I said that Boycee Equipment distributor cap didn't look correct. I totally forgot that the cap is enclosed and screwed into the ignitor cover. My apologies. I'll go back to work on my truck this weekend I hope. Maybe I'll get lucky and the 2nd new coil will be the answer to my problem. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    It's like a murder mystery! If they don't want to read about it, they can pass it over. For me, I like reading all the possibilities on how people fix stuff. Personally, I'd like to know what is or is not working.
    This^

I'm following this thread for the same reason I listen to "Car Talk": it adds to my data base of potential solutions to automotive problems.

It also might help me troubleshoot my !@#$% Cub Cadet...