Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alosix : Tieing these things down on a trailer

Default fredrader :

Re: Tieing these things down on a trailer
    Post by fredrader on Aug 4, 2006, 2:59pm

I don't have any lever binders anymore since I saw a guy at work split his head open releasing one..Home Run Inc where I work supplies ratcheting binders only so this will not happen again..The lever type is quicker but can bite you if you let it..

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 4, 2006, 9:48pm

if i use lever binders after i lock em down i then take the extra chain left over and wrap it around the lever of the binder. glad to see you want to chain it correctly .anything worth doin is worth doin right especially where safety is concerned. you might loose the trailer and load but there still together where ever they end up. another thing i learned was your trailer safety chains on the trailer to tow vehicle. , they must be crossed, right chain to left of tow veh. , left chain to the right of tow vehicle. x again.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 4, 2006, 9:52pm

when I ever get a trailer I'll be using chains.

Since I only occasionally borrow them, I use straps. Crossed... to the axles.

Default 77cj7 :

Post by 77cj7 on Aug 5, 2006, 1:03am

Ratcheting Binders are great... as long as you carry a can or two of WD40. Otherwise, they always seem to be rusted solid when ya need em.

Default kaizenator :

Post by kaizenator on Aug 5, 2006, 11:37am

In the picture of fredrader's steel trailer, I would be concerned abt the lateral tensile strength of the welded seam on the recessed tie-down D-link and its attachment point(s). It's a scary thought of the D-link spreading apart and becoming disconnected, (also, using only one continuous chain would become ineffective if one D-link fails). Those recessed tie-down pts will probably hold just fine, but I suggest adding an additional chain loop from the trailer's frame (outboard stake bracket or similar) to the 715's axle. Just my 2cents.

Default kaizenator :

Post by kaizenator on Aug 5, 2006, 11:43am

Observation made that those are two rear chains not one.

Nice trailer by the way. Do you mind taking a couple pictures of the ramps deployed?

Default marknessmonster :

Post by marknessmonster on Aug 5, 2006, 12:54pm

I had a truck hauled years ago that had a chain run between the mailbox and the cab over the frame on the fuel tank side and under to the opposite side of the trailer. When I received the truck, I'm sure you guessed right that the fuel line was crushed.

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Aug 7, 2006, 4:57pm

Quote:
    Observation made that those are two rear chains not one.

Nice trailer by the way. Do you mind taking a couple pictures of the ramps deployed?

The D rings in the floor swivel and are resessed so they can't spread any..I will take some when I get back home Thursday..I'm a truck driver and I am on my way to Syracuse NY then to Long Island NY then a stop in Lodi NJ then back home..I should be back Wed nite..

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Aug 10, 2006, 9:35am

Here is some pics..The D rings are 6000lb capacity each (At least thats what is stamped on them)

Default alosix :

Post by alosix on Aug 10, 2006, 9:42am

Almost forgot to add, as I haven't seen it here anywhere yet.

The trailer needs to be AT LEAST 77" wide for a stock truck on stock NDTs. That's how wide the trailer we used was and it just barely made it through the fenders. Probably coulda used some crisco on the tires.

Jason