Thread: Options overload

Default Options overload

Your opinion's please.

Been looking at all the various engine swaps and I can't decide which way to go. My ultimate goal is basic and reliable not high performance & on a budget. (I'd like to have the drive-train handled for under $2k)

Step 1) Determine if the 230 Tornado is worth saving. Waiting on leak-down test results. (mechanic friend isn't getting in any hurry on that)
    1.a.) All the accessories (as well as distributor, carb, starter, switches, battery box, etc.), have been robbed from truck before I got it... Even if it does pass the leak-down test is the cost of replacing that stuff cheap or am I better off spending a little more and swapping in something else?

Step 2) Assuming I decide to do a swap. I'm thinking salvage yard motor. Cost and simplicity are my major criteria. I'd like to have fuel injection for reliability but I realize it adds significantly to the complexity. Also I see plenty of options for adapters to the T-98 but does anything bolt up without one?

I like the idea of Toyota straight six maybe out of a land cruiser but am I asking for trouble making that work?

What say you?

Decision may have been made for me. Buying a complete tornado engine with all the missing stuff I need. Then we'll see if I have a working engine.

Well you are probably finding the easiest and cheapest solution. Swapping in something else always translates to needing to find something and that usually means added costs and time. My first truck was stock and original. There is in my opinion, nothing wrong with a good running 230. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyArt View Post
    Your opinion's please.
    ...on a budget.

What say you?
    Completely lost me.. never seen that happen..

Ha. I'm in for it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyArt View Post
    Decision may have been made for me. Buying a complete tornado engine with all the missing stuff I need. Then we'll see if I have a working engine.
    That is probably the cheapest. Next would probably be a Chevy 350 conversion using Novak components, it keeps everything from the transmission back stock.