Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

Can't wait to to see this running!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Can't wait to to see this running!
    Me neither!!!

So I've been making good progress the past couple days and my list is getting shorter!

I've also got my large pile of mostly exhaust parts so I think I have a solid shot at test driving the truck in the next 2 weeks!

I went to my buddy's place and had him modify the outlet on the radiator to work better in the engine bay. We shortened the outlet and increased the diameter to match the engine side. After that, I installed the radiator for the final time as well as the cooling fan! It turned out how I had hoped and it's not super obvious that there's an aftermarket radiator/fan combo behind the grille.

After that, I focused on getting the hoses hooked up and serpentine belt installed. After a bit of measuring, cutting hoses, realizing I measured wrong, and repeating the cycle a few time, I got it all in and filled! The lower hose was a pain since it's so tight and is a very large diameter hose (2").

I was also able to reuse my canteen overflow tank! Hopefully it holds enough fluid for this application. Speaking of, this engine took 5.5 GALLONS of coolant. I didn't expect that much at all. Hopefully it can stay cool and I don't get any leaks.

After all that, I was able to install the correct pinion yoke and install the new driveshaft! The clearance to the trans bell housing is a bit tighter than I'd like so I'll keep an eye and ear out for any "self clearancing" that may happen.

Last but not least, a teaser of my audio system plans! My marine head unit and speakers came in today. I'll get to them a little later. Probably after the windshield wipers and test drive.

Final note, here's how she's sitting currently. Almost ready to go!

Last edited by Old_Red_Jeep; January 29th, 2020 at 09:43 PM.

@hayeselmotors

Fingers crossed it all goes well...love the grille badge!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Fingers crossed it all goes well...love the grille badge!!
    Thanks! I thought it was a nice touch since I found sooooo many wasps and wasp nests. heck, another chunck of mud dabber nest fell out of something yesterday. I don't even know where it came from.

@hayeselmotors

I remember a member once named his truck Stinger....day he brought it home, he got stung like 25 times by wasps that had a big nest in the storage compartment under the front of the bed...

Hope that isnt your experience...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I remember a member once named his truck Stinger....day he brought it home, he got stung like 25 times by wasps that had a big nest in the storage compartment under the front of the bed...

Hope that isnt your experience...
    I was only chased off by a live wasp once. the rest of them have been dead or I sprayed with the insecticide. The truck has received the nickname "Rumble Bumble" from my girlfriend. I might keep it.

@hayeselmotors

So the back half of this week was a bit of a roller coaster of emotions. Thursday I received my official Easter Jeep Safari guide book and registered for the event. I was getting excited reading through it and picturing what we'll get to do as well as adding some things to my build list to satisfy Utah road rules. After that, my friend (John) came over to help fabricate the exhaust for the truck. We went out to the garage and I discovered coolant on the floor under the engine... I really hoped it was from a hose but it wasn't. It looked like it was leaking from a freeze plug on the front of the engine as well from under the intake plenum... And the freeze plug is conveniently blocked by the timing cover so that has to be removed...
    So after going through the five stages of grief in as many minutes, we got to work. John started on the exhaust while I tore into the engine. Everything came apart easily since I just put it all together and I've been anti-seizing what I can. So now the engine is sitting apart while I wait for new gaskets to arrive.

Here you can see the suspect freeze plug. I tried to install it two years ago with the timing cover on and that clearly didn't work.

On the plus side, as of last night, we have the whole exhaust welded together it just needs to be assembled onto the truck.

(I only have a pic of the front section at the moment)

While I was waiting on John to weld the tailpipe, I installed my electric wiper motors that I got from Tom's Bronco Parts. I think they look very appropriate and they seem solid. I was worried that they might be on the cheap side but they look stout.

The plan now is to reassemble the engine early next week, assemble the exhaust, wire in the wiper motors, install my windshield sprayer system, wire the gauges, install my stereo, etc etc. I still have 3 weeks to work on the truck before work takes me away from it again but I think I can still make EJS!

@hayeselmotors

Ok, We've been hard at work on the truck and we've made better than expected progress! Even cooler, we made a video of ourselves and we're going to try to keep making updates as we go. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdq6KyZip0Y

So here's how it all went down. I was able to get the timing cover apart and replace the freeze plug on the front as well as a new gasket!

Next was the intake manifold gasket. I got new Felpro ones and used silicone on both sides and a bit more in the corners to try to prevent any more coolant leaks.

At that point I was able to reassemble the engine and let the silicone set overnight.

The next day, I pressure tested the cooling system and found an additional leak from the thermostat gasket. I pulled the housing and found some debris. So I cleaned it, put a little more silicone down for good measure and reinstalled it. At that point, we had no more coolant leaks. At least not coolant leaks...

Apparently when I reinstalled the fuel rail I tore an o-ring pretty badly. Bad enough that when I primed the system, fuel started spraying out everywhere... Oops. So the upper intake manifold had to come back off so I could replace the o ring(s).

Last edited by Old_Red_Jeep; February 5th, 2020 at 09:55 PM.

@hayeselmotors

While all this was going on, my buddy John was working on the exhaust. We were able to get all of it setup easily enough. It's 2.25" from the factory downpipes to a Y-pipe. There it goes to 3" and a high-flow cat and onto a Flowmaster 70 series muffler. It all looks pretty sweet and I like how we did the tailpipe.

After all this, we were ready to fire up the engine and hear how it sounded! Plugged everything in, filled all the fluids, annnnd crank but no start... Awesome. Plugged in my code reader and saw that the ECU wasn't receiving voltage. So after a bit of trouble shooting, we found that I blew a fuse. I think I accidentally shorted the system when unplugging the alternator (I was lazy and didn't unplug the battery. don't do that kids). Oops. After that, we were able to run the engine! The truck sounds good for a large displacement V10! I'll have a video soon of the exhaust and hopefully a test drive soon!

@hayeselmotors

It looks great. I was shocked to see how much space the engine took. I had to reread to discover it was a V10. I wish mine was that close. Great job!