Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Weak" axles

Default This is a test

I look at it as an endless cycle. More tire , more gear, more motor. You should not have any driveline failures. You should always need one of the things in the endless cycle. If you have enough motor and gear to turn the tires , Then you need more tire. If you can't turn the tires , then you need more gear or motor. And it just keeps going and going. I use the three strikes rule. A part that breaks on me three times is getting upgraded, No Exceptions !!! Guys in our Mudbog club that are kind of on a budgit use the tires as a weak link. They run a big tire that is about 75% wore out . That gives them some traction, alot of wheel speed , but very few driveline failures. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

Default Cat Diesel

That's an interesting take on things. I think I work off a modified or stopped version of that: build for the biggest thing. Like, 60's might be overkill for 31's. But I'm building around 40" sticky pig tires. That requires a few things. Rock sticks, shock loads parts, so I'll need some good strong axles to handle it. Then I'll need some motor to move all that stuff... suspension to get power to the ground... etc. I think out here I'll start on the suspension first, as it can make up for the tire and motor to some extent. After that tire, to keep me off the rocks. Then finally motor to break something so I can start over! LOL..

Tires as a weak link... interesting concept. I think I'll try the driveshaft thing, after weld some 1/4" plate to the oil pan hahaha.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Interesting way to look at it.

Spicer, what have you done to upgrade your axles so that they live behind your 427T?

I know that he has purchased an amount of one (1) complete set of NOS shafts as replacements. Also recall that he is planning on Rockwells. hehehehe. It's all true though.
    **I heart Bump_r **

What is a 14 bolt rated at? What about a open knuckle dana 60? Can I swap in 35 spine axleshafts into my truck?

the 14bolt is I think just a bare touch above the d70. Plus, it has a pinion support bearing. The newer open knuckle 60's have much bigger shafts than the stockers.
    **I heart Bump_r **

So that is for the total axle, not just a per axle shaft #?

Good stuff Robert.
    Big Blocks RULE!

So can I upgrade to stronger shafts on the stock axles? Can I replace the carrier and hubs to get 35 spline axle shafts? Or am I stuck with stock?

Spicer - correct. The ultimate shaft strength is unknown to me, but based on M1028's history, they DO appear to be the weak links, torque-wise. Thanks for the compliment.

Kali - you MAY be able to upgrade carrier, but getting custom shafts made to mate to out oddball hubs could be quite high. Even if our hubs were "standard", getting custom long-side/short-side would be necessary. Prolly cheaper in the long run to swap axles. You'll have to weigh your options and desired results. If the corp 14-bolt is only marginally stronger (I don't know the numbers) you may find it more desireable to jsut keep a spare set of axle shafts with you.

That's what's so crazy about modifying these things, there's no right way or wrong way to do it, just gotta go with your own thoughts. Well, no wrong way except for swapping in 1/2 ton axles, like someone we know!

Newer Dana 70 vs 14 Corp. 14 bolt . They are almost identical in strength . The 70 will give you about 3/4" more clearance under the pumpkin, and there are more gear ratio's available. The 14 bolts are easier to find and alot cheaper. The newer Dana 70's are alot stronger than the original ones that were put in the M715. The old 70's have coarse spline (23) axles , The new ones are 35 spline. The alloy's that the shafts are made from are stronger in in the new ones too. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!