Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a damaged or unusable canvas cab top

I'm very impressed! That's amazing work!
    I think I drink too much coffee to attempt this!

I am always so impressed with the talent of the people in this group!

Best wishes with the new year!!
    Thanks for all the help!

Blog Entries

Yeah color me impressed. I'm looking for someone somewhere to make me a black top. I was thinking of going to a place that make convertible tops.

Ha ha... I get the coffee thing. My wife and I covet it. Twice a day.

Tom, I don't know where this soft top project is headed. I say hold on for now and maybe something can be worked out later. I need to have a conversation with someone and see what is possible here. In the mean time I will keep at it. In hopes of producing something outstanding. I need to add some more fire to my irons.

Quote Originally Posted by teking View Post
    While on the top .. topic ... LOL .... anyone ever dyed one another color like dark grey or black? Or can I get them made in diff colors. I know I can call the current two vendors and ask. But wondering what my options are. Also where are people getting the non-canvas ones from???
    I asked OD Cloth if they do any other colors, and their answer was a flat no. They only do OD green. I was considering going down the same path, and would love to know if you find anyone willing to do other colors.

These companies could easily just change fabric. I am not sure but I think New life canvas will do different colors. And as usual they are backed up by months. Even back when I was super active here on this site, they had a long wait then too. Their web page shows family issues. These companies have the patterns. I am trying to create them and it is a challenge. I have several adjustments to make. A 1/2 inch here, an inch minus there, etc. I can probably make tops later. I am faced with needing an income, and cursed by a very long list of needing to do home stuff unrelated to this fun hobby. I honestly enjoy the work on stuff like these tops. But want to get back on the truck so I can put it behind me. I will cross that bridge or jump when I get there.
    I am loosing another day from the top work. An unexpected long road trip and a neighbor called and has a broken hub on an old Ford High boy. I am the go to guy up here where I live. I will teach him how to do this work. I am hoping to be sewing again by tomorrow. It gives me time to plan assembly.
    Cheers,

Once you get the pattern done, I would definitely be interested in paying for a copy/template to work from. The truck I bought has vinyl that's stapled and screwed onto the windshield and a plywood back, and it leaks.

I've been sewing a while, and would love to make my own, mostly because there are no companies that offer insulated soft tops (I need it to keep the Texas heat down). I was thinking of adding a layer of thinsulate or something similar into it, as well as incorporating some of the nice features of some other tops (zippered rear window, etc).

Here is a quick guide for your sewing machine. Get a angle bar from home depot or the hardware store. You only need about 2-3 inches. Put Doble face tape on one side and tape it to the machine deck at your seam allowance. This will give you a fence to run the fabric against to keep your seam straight. I did that for a few years till I got practiced at it.
    Zone holster maker

That is a great idea. I do have some 1 inch aluminum angle in the shop. It would help with a couple of the seams. But I am finding a lot of stitching that I have to roll up or fold the entire top or back panel and try to get my straight stitch done. Around corners and U-turns. I have to plan on how to do the stitch and make sure the bulk of the material will fit where I need it to as I follow the panels. So far I am getting it. And with concentration, I am producing better stitches or seams that I would send out to others. The first run through on the rejected header panel was pretty ugly. I would not even put it on my truck. Slowing down I was able to find my sewing mojo again. Yes I still need the experience that makes perfection. But I am happy with what is happening up to now.

I can't even think to prepare patterns for sending to anyone right now. The amount of work going into this is more that it looks like. Later if the planets align right, maybe I can develop patterns or even produce tops for others. But not right now.

My neighbors broken locking hub turned out to be a broken ring and pinion. I have a correct used set for him. He is broke and does not know how to do the repair. We all really need 4 wheel drive here. I am giving him my gear set and I will install them for him. I will never use them. So I am trading out the needle and thread for a dial indicator and contact paste. I really want to knock this top out. And make another. I will be back at it right soon. Now where is that aluminum angle ? Thanks K8icu..

Well almost there. I discovered I need taller side panels. Easy to extract and replace thankfully. I definitely have a lot of changes to the patterns. But it is starting to materialize.

Adding the hold down straps. My locations were different than the used top. I hung the back panel and marked center on the footman loops. Glad I did that.

I put in a bigger window. I wanted to have a slightly bigger one than OEM.
    I put an edge around it. It was difficult to sew in.

Installed minus door frame snaps. It will pull tighter when the side panels are snapped in. I will replace them and it will help. The window is great and the straps are spot on.

I'll be... It is turning out pretty good for a pile of guess work.

Front snaps on. Black of course. I hope to find satin instead of gloss black.

This is what I need to correct. I will have to make new taller ones.

So far so good. My hands are sore from all the pushing and pulling. The next top will be even better.

Happy New Year.

Dang Al...just keep rocking!!!

What CAN1'T you do????

Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!