Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6.2 Diesel Observations

Thanks Steve. You gave me a topic to search.

I already knew there were at least 4 factory GM glow plugs used over the years with only the newest being the self regulation type. 5G, 9G, 11G and 60G. People have hooked up a 60G to a battery and left them on 8-24 hours without failure, swelling or explosion. I have 60G plugs in all of my engines.

I knew GM had the CUCV glow plug system, the 1982 initial 6.2 system, a 1984 revised system, the 1988-1992 system and then the 1993-2000 system for the OBD II computer run injection pump trucks with a turbo.

What I learned new is that the self regulating 60G glow plugs didn’t come along with the 1988 controller. I am using the 1988 version controller. All of the non 60G glow plugs hit 1400° just about immediately. But, if left powered more than 12 seconds they could actually explode or at least start to swell.

So the 1988 controller does an 8 second glow cycle. The 60G plugs need 12-16 second glow to get to full temperature. My double cycle of just turning the ignition on, waiting for the wait light to go out, turning the ignition off then back on real quick. Gives me 16 total seconds but not at full heat.

I had seen the diesel performance sellers all had their own “glow extender” kits. Basically, an older Ford starter relay wired to a push button switch inside the cab that could be held down to keep the voltage going. I’m sure they work, but I want a system that works for who ever might be needed to drive my truck without special instructions.

Researching “resistor added to 6.5 diesel glow plug controller “ thanks to Steve resulted in 30 years of people complaining about and fixing this problem. A 5 Ohm 1 watt resistor added to terminal C of the controller plug adds 4-5 seconds to every glow period. A 10 Ohm 2 Watt resistor adds 8-10 seconds.

I think I will do the 5 Ohm mod first and see what results I get.

The reasons I am using the 4 pin 1988-1992 controller are several. It doesn’t need access to the coolant system to function. It has a temperature sensor in it that when the outside temperature is over 80° and the engine is warm, it won’t even turn on the glow plugs. It can also be mounted just about anywhere a person wanted. I have mine bolted to the inside rear of the drivers side head. Central to the wiring and out of the way.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Thanks Steve. You gave me a topic to search.
    I have mine bolted to the inside rear of the drivers side head.
    Wow! Your suburban has a head in it for the driver. I actually kinda prefer stopping occasionally to stretch my legs though.

Hope the resistor idea works for you.

My F250 has 450,000 miles on it and has been hard to start in cold weather for the last 50,000 miles or so. Changed the glow plugs and controller and diagnostics say they are working, but the long cranking and white smoke says otherwise.

The resistors should be in my mail box after work today. I hope it works too.

I will actually be driving the Cowdog full of campers a week from Friday to some private land between Rock Springs and Junction on 377. It will be another good test.

I thought your 6.0 had a heater grid instead of glow plugs?

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

nope. 6.0 has glow plugs.

Two years later and I was searching for the same part number I was then again. So, since I found this thread for the same reason twice. I am going to put them here as well.

The GM glow plug controller I put on the M715, Bomber and Cowdog is a BWD R3076.

The 4 pin plug that goes with the controller is a BWD PT363.

I found it on post 166 of my M715 6.2 conversion thread.

I was looking for the part number 2 years ago because of the failed glow plug controller in the Cowdog. I tried the resister idea Kwai brought to my attention and it didn’t change start time any. I finally broke down and added the Ford relay and a push button to “extend” the glow time to a minimum of 12 seconds in hot weather and as much as 25 seconds in cold weather. I also did all 8 glow plugs again. Both helped. The best help was after my guaranteed for life O’Reilly’s starter started making weird noises after the 4th replacement. I bought a brand new AC Delco unit. Now for the first time ever my 12 volt engine spins as fast as my 24 volt units.

Jennifer and I spent 2 weeks playing at overlanding in the Colorado mountains last summer. 11,000 feet and cold starting at 35° was just like home and 100°. So, that is not a worry anymore.

I was looking for the part numbers today because I did a video months ago about the different 6.? Glow plug control units over the years. Somebody asked what the part number for the pigtail was and I found this thread again looking.