Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Master Cylinder Conversion - Upgrade

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'm with Roy on that one. I stopped using any reman parts for brakes a long time ago for reasons mentioned. Too much to chance when the brakes don't work when you need them most.

I even hate to use any reman steering gears and the like, but sometimes there isn't much choice for some components.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

It was a brand new unit. I elected to pay a little more for a new unit.

Hopefully next week sometime the truck will be in my garage and the engine on its way out. Then I will have plenty of space to work with the master cylinder.

This just ed me off. but I am not going to worry about it right now. So long as I can get the truck in my garage, I am going to be able to fix the brakes much easier.

Zach

can soft line like stainless steel dot be used from the mc to the hardlines? also what are the thread size of the fittings where the t is. theres a bunch of sizes mentioned but i just want to be sure i already have my stange engineering mc put on.

thanks for the info and pics

Default Testing the output pressure of a Master cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Is it new or reman? We quit using remanned m/c entirely due to high failure/poor quality issues.
    One day we pressure tested 12 units from 3 suppliers. NONE of them would supply the 900/600 minimum required pressures.
    First test on a brand new AC/Delco unit provide the required psi and then some. I think it tested 1100/800.
    After reading this thread, I need to bring it back to the top with a few questions. How do you actually test the output pressure to these master cylinders? Is there a "test kit" sold at the auto parts stores that screws into the master cylinder ports to test the output of a master cylinder?

I put a re-manufactured 10-1371 on my M725 last fall, and now I'm seeing that I should have used a 10-1331 which has a 1.125 bore. And, with the 10-1371 with a 1" bore, I do not have aggressive braking that I think I should have. I have HUMMER tires and recentered rims on my truck that I am trying to stop. Am I asking this master cylinder to do too much? Are these two master cylinders inadequate for this larger tire application?

Any advice? Thanks in Advance,
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

There are adaptors to plug psi gauges into brake systems. I would suggest you find a loose gravel or dirt road. Going along at idle, slam on the brakes. You should skid to a stop. Don't move the truck. Get out and verify all 4 tires skidded.

If all 4 tires skidded, get a power booster so the brakes get more psi when at speed or start working out doing leg presses.

If just the front or rear skidded. Then you might have a bad part of the master to the other end, air in the line, or about 20 other things.

If 1 or 2 not on the same end skidded. Adjust your shoes and try again until all 4 lock up.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

There is a thread here somewhere where the poster took all the specs for that different M/Cs and found the Corvette m/c worked the best.
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Default What vacuum booster would you pair with the 10-1331?

This is a great write-up. Thanks for sharing these details. I'm renovating the brake system in my M715 and following your instructions. If you were to add a vacuum booster, is there a booster that would pair nicely with the 10-1331 master cylinder and fit into the M715 without modification?

Any advice is appreciated.

Try and find a Jeep Wagoneer or J truck in a junk yard. There is a wedge shaped piece of aluminum that goes between the booster and the firewall. Its purpose was to move the master away from the carb and up a little.

Going with a 1987 Wagoneer replacement booster would be a good choice in my opinion. Several other have done it already. I went Hydroboost because of the diesel engine on mine the last time I redid it all.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I”m new to M715 and would like to install a dual master cycler. Nice job with the write up but pictures are worth a hundred words. Can you repost photos I’m not able to view them clear.