Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Project M715... Eh!

Default Canadian Project M715... Eh!

Well, I did it... I finally got my 1967 M715 from Waxahachie Texas... It took some doing to get it across the border, but it's in my driveway finally!

I've been wanting to do one up for a while. Then I saw Ian from Xtreme doing one on the show and I thought I'd better get off my ass before these become really rare, lol...

The truck I got is extremely solid and very complete. The plan is for a Hemi swap (like Ian is doing), the usual Dana 60 up front and 14 bolt rear end, some 39's (ish) and get the paint back to army green. I'd like to drive it as much as I can, so this should be a winning combo for that...

I have ideas for all of the other details like lighting, bumpers, interior, etc., but nothing solid yet. I'll start work on it in a few weeks (right after I finish my dirt oval racer to the point it's off jack stands so I can roll it out of "the project spot" in the garage, lol).

I'll put some pictures of the starting point up from my phone. I wanted to post some progress here because all of the other builds I have read here have helped me so far and I'd like to help others with future builds.

Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like part of your hardtop is missing on the drivers side.
    Congrats on the truck.

looks like a sheet of plexi, or similar, look on passenger side, same thing

Congrats on truck, should make a good build

Does it run currently?

Nice Truck !

I hope John Was good to deal with.
    He is really an upstanding guy.

That front Gladiator grill, with the jeep badge, although not stock to an M 715... I think they are cool as heck.

My parts truck has one, but My stock truck does not.

Just an FYI... those grills with the Jeep emblem are about 300 bucks in almost any condition IF you can even find one.

Nice score.

i'm not knocking the truck at all, but the e brake handle is missing...

Something to consider, as most trucks dont have the e brake next to the transfer case shifters... and you might not have been aware it was not there.

I see those handles on e bay all the time for about 40 bucks or so.

Congratulations on the New project !

Anything we can help with... we all will.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Thanks guys! Yes, John was great to deal with!

From the other forum posts I thought there was supposed to be an e-brake, but am not worried about it because of the drivetrain swap planned... It supposedly ran a few years ago, but as much as I'd like to see it run it would be a lot of wasted time for nothing... I'll keep all the original components in case I ever want to put it back to original though...

Good to know about the grille! I knew it wasn't stock after reading in here and I didn't initially like it, but it grew on me and now I'm going to black it out except for the jeep logo and leave it on...

The hard top is coming off. I'm going to put the canvas back up there.

What have you guys done about the 24v system when doing a drivetrain swap? I like the original lights. They're about all that would need 24v (I'll need to put new gauges in I think, that would be the only other 24v requirement after a drivetrain swap). Do you run 12v and just step it up to 24v for the light circuit or is it easier to convert the lights to 12v?

One of my other big questions that I haven't found much about is the steering box... What have you guys done for an upgrade?

just convert lights to 12 volt, cheaper in long run(24V headlight is near $50, 12V is around $15, and you can get the 12 volt at any auto store)

because the wiring is technically really simple, you could get rid of all the Packard connectors(the rubber connectors) and splice whatever connection you need for the head lights, and then the various engine components as well(water temp, oil pressure, dist. wire, etc.), or you can cut the wiring out of the headlights and use that to splice on your connector, therefore preserving the system if you ever want to return to stock everything

that handle in the battery tray is the Ebrake handle and looks like the rod is there too, possible the band seized up on the drum and the PO just removed the whole package

Cool, thanks for the insight. I think I'll just redo all of the wiring anyway. No sense in trusting 48 year old wires, lol... It shouldn't be too hard to convert the lights and put new connectors on...