Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M715 Texas Build

Default Project-Texas Build

Hi all,

Wanted to introduce myself. I bought a unit from John in Waxahachie yesterday. I’d like to compliment all the great builds and the collegiality in this forum. Scassidy’s work has been particularly inspiring.

I’m eager to get my project going, You guys are light years ahead of me on mechanical abilities but I’m a pretty good fabricator. I’ll definitely look to lean on y’all as I progress. I look forward to contributing in any way I can. I am eager to carry on the helpfulness and respect that has been established by the fellas on here.

I’ll post some updates once I’ve pulled her apart.

I’m still not sure what direction I’m going but it will be modified tech for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi,
    Welcome to the Zone
    From the photo, looks like you have found a nice one.
    Dan

I will look at your other post and either combine them or just delete the ones no one responded to. No problem.

Welcome to the Zone! A good number of M715 owners in the area. Once we are allowed to gather in groups again. You might want to make your way over to Camp Mabry on the 3rd Wednesday evening of every month. All of us green iron addicted people meet and talk about how weird the rest of the world is.

http://www.lonestar-mvpa.org

There also in normal times a gathering in College Station every March. I think I have seen John who you bought your truck from there pretty much every year of the event the last decade or so:

https://americangimuseum.org/events/...story-weekend/

We will see if it happens this year. Last year was called off.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I just merged them. Post in this one only now.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Thank you, I will definitely be at those events when the world returns to normal!

I've made the dive into the axle swap threads and whew! Great info, I've moved up the learning curve pretty quickly.

I've been on the phone with some pull apart yards today and it looks like I'm a little late to the game, seems guys have been on the Dana 60 and 14 bolt train for a long time.

I found this set on Craigslist:

https://austin.craigslist.org/pts/d/...269487029.html

I have followed venominjected's build and I know his axles are from much older year model Fords but I'm wondering if anyone can weigh in on the suitability of these? I know I'll face the switch to the NP205 because of the drop handing. I think these are ball joints but so is my 2019 F-250 daily driver so how bad can it be? That's a serious question, how bad can it be?!

My other question is, if all else fails on sourcing axles and I have to go to last resort, I found this guy:

https://www.hillbillywizard.com/comp...t-refurbished/

Anyone have thoughts on this? I expect it will be pricey but scarcity drives prices! If you are more comfortable sharing your thoughts on this in a pm please message me.

Thanks!

What do you plan to use the truck for?

Date night, store trips, I’m going to baby it. Want the ability to get on the highway. Not planning to haul or do any serious off-roading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Then, you have no need to re axle the truck or switch transfer cases. Or even swap in a different engine.

I daily drove my stock truck for almost 3 years. I thought I wanted more top end speed so a 396 Big Block Chevy was built and a NV4500 was sourced. Along with a divorced NP205. I drove the stock truck to work on a Friday and the 396/NV4500 propelled truck to work that Monday. The NP205 was going to wait until a later time. (It is still waiting on a shelf a few feet from me right now.)

That was back in 2005. I loved the V8 burble exhaust and the ability to go as fast as I dared push my right foot down. However, a square truck with a flat windshield is a handful above 52-56 mph with no wind. Add in a head wind and things get real interesting very fast. I still thought I was ahead of the game with a better truck.

Then we had a huge M715 Zone gathering in Buena Vista, Colorado in 2008. We base camped at 8,000 feet and went as high up as 12,300 feet. Binford with his all stock truck fired up every time with no drama and was able to climb the passes like he was at sea level. My hot rod V8 didn't want to start, idle and had to be rowed by the gear shift lever going up hill.

A stock truck is designed to haul 1-1/4 tons of stuff off road on just about any terrain and carry a bit more on pavement up to 45 mph convoy speed. It does that to perfection. Going outside of those parameters in my opinion leads to a slippery slope of modifications that take away from the basic designed intent of the truck.

I now have a 6.2 diesel with the NV4500 in the truck and love it. Except for effortless cruising at 48-56 mph. I have learned to let the truck live inside its designed goals and am much happier because of it. Yes, I have over 20,000 M715 miles in the last 20 years with 3 different engines. A stock truck is very hard to improve upon. Plus, they bring more money if you ever want to sell.

By the way, HillbillyWizard.com are great people to work with. I have dealt with them in the CUCV world. You might also want to take a drive out US 183 past Leander and check out the guys with all the military stuff on the east side of the road north of the San Gabriel River. I forget the name of their business and their names. But, great people to work with.

I'm with Barrman, if it's mechanically sound I'd run it the way it is and enjoy the heck out of it!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Barrman,

Great feedback. I like the idea of keeping it simple. My two main impetuses for the axle swap are disk brakes and the closed knuckles. It is interesting as I think about why I don't like those aspects of the truck because I can answer from firsthand knowledge that I prefer disk to drum. However, the closed knuckle opinion is one that I realize I haven't formed for myself. Growing up in a small town in Texas comes with lots of teenage boys and trucks in mud and a codified set of opinions that are passed around. Closed knuckles were always spoken about like they would leave you stranded in the desert without water and then shoot your dog.

If I leave the closed knuckles I think I would rebuild them at least because I have a creek crossing on the lease that I let my daughters steer the truck through which is a favorite activity and I can imagine that water in the seal would be bad.

Did you rebuild yours and have you had any issues? I can likely get ok with the drum brakes if I could get comfortable with the closed knuckles.

I don't need to go more than 50 mph for what I want to do driving around in Austin. With Austin traffic I'll be lucky to get up to 30 mph .

Glad to hear Hillbilly is good and I'll figure out who the guys on 183 are, thank you for that referral.