Thread: Sandblasting a M715

Default Sandblasting a M715

I am planning to get the rest of my M715 sandblasted to bare metal in the coming weeks. The place I bring it to actually heats all the parts first to the point where the paint starts to blister and then after it is removed from the oven, they let it cool down and then sandblast the parts.
    This way, the paint is already somewhat loose and comes off easier with the sandblaster.
    Considering these trucks are 40+ years old, I would think the metal of yesteryear could handle sandblasting without warping. The only part of the truck I am concerned about is the hood, which I may strip myself or have it media blasted since the hood is made with thinner metal.
    Anyone have their entire trucks sandblasted? Any warpage?
    Like I said, the place I use first heats the parts up so that the paint blisters whereby the sandblasting goes faster since the paint is already loosened up.
    Any thought etc?

DON'T SANDBLAST!

Glass bead is okay, soda is better, dry ice is best.

The problem with sand is that it gets EVERYWHERE and you will never clear all the sand out of the nooks and crannies of yout truck. It will then collect water, turn to mud, and rust things inside-out.

Also, the sand will work itself oiut while you are painting, ruining your new paint job.

Sand will warp panels. It will destroy plastic. It will etch glass. there are so many better options to sand, that it should be your last option.

Soda blasting is pretty common these days. Soda residue washes out and won't collect water. Its easy on plastic and glass and rubber.

Dry ice is THE BEST, but is kinda new and hard to find. Dry Ice leaves NO residue. It will not warp panels. If you can find a place that does it, it is far and away the best option for stripping a vehicle down to bere metal.

Zach

To answer your question. I sandblasted my whole truck. I took it completely apart and brought it in in stages. I NEVER had any warping or sand collecting in strange places. Once I got everything back I put on rubber gloves before handling the bare metal and then used the air to blow out each piece. No problems. Just make sure you take it to a place that knows what they are doing.

Thumbs down Sandblasting

I have been a bodyman for years (25 or so) and an instructor in auto collision for the last 7. Yes the metal is older but its also much softer than the new stuff.i have seen so many panels ruined by someone who thinks they can blast them. Like Zach said soda or dry ice without a doubt. My 715 was sand blasted just before i bought it...I wish they would have just left it alone. i have sand in the rockers, cowl, doors you name it. Soda leaves a film on the panel to prevent flash rust for a few weeks to give you time to do your bodywork. Now the bed is thick enough to safely blast but not the cab. If you do...VPW has a bunch of NOS hoods in stock, that's where I bought mine to replace my "surf board".

Tim

Default Plastic media

Mine was plastic media blasted. Does not heat, stretch or "open" the metal. Just like sand though, it continues to come out from all the nooks and crannies. Just last week, when I was primming some welded areas, media came out and got into the primer. I recommend the plastic blasting but you have to take care to remove it ALL.

new (to me) M715 ( 1 2 3 4) check out this tread.
    I have been sandblasting for over 30 years, I have not had any problems with warping , I blasted the hood on the 715 and didnt have any problems.I saw a humvee that was soda blasted and it look fantastic!. But I already have $1000. invested in my sandblaster and not going to change now. I have a cabinet blaster that i use glassbeads to do the small stuff. Like carbs , fuel pumps etc..... and sand does make a mess but if you blow it off, vacumm,and wipe it down with tack rags , you can come up with a good paint job.
    Last edited by brute4c; July 29th, 2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Fixed link

I had my whole truck blasted, but I had the intentions of cutting out the floors, rockers and corners to replace them so getting the sand out wasnt an issue. I don't see any issues with using sand. Just back down on the pressure a bit.

Thank Jon,I could not get that link to work.Still trying to get the hang of this.

No sweat.

For those kind of links, you need to copy the address bar info at the top of your browser...like this thread has:

http://m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10039

You had the structure right just not the link url.