Thread: engine oil

Default engine oil

Is the engine oil for the stock 230 supposed to be non-detergent?

It really doesn't matter. Just find an oil weight that is correct for your climate and pour it in. The old detergent, non detergent stuff was important with straight weight oils. Today's multi-weight oil is refined much differently than either of the old choices and really is much better.

Except for the friction properties that protect cam shaft lobes with non roller lifters. Since the OEM's don't use flat tappet lifters anymore, those elements are left out of most oils. Diesel engine oil still has it. I have started running Rotella or Dello diesel oil in all my old gas engines because of this. Oh, any synthetic will also have the properties you need for the cam shaft to out last the water pump and rear main seal.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks. I wasn't sure, I couldn't find it in the manual. I have been running the rotella 15w- 40. I have a oliver tractor that smokes bad if i put detergent oil in it.

Rotella is a detergent oil, non detergent motor oil is scarce nowdays you usually have to ask for it or order it.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The biggest reason for non-detergent oil, was because old engines didn't have filtration beyond a coarse screen in the sump. In those days, you wanted all the contaminants to settle out of the lubricating oil to the sump in the bottom where it would be drained out, or cleaned during an oil service.

When filtration became common, higher detergent oils were made to keep the contaminants suspended in the oil and then taken back to the filter for removal.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

It is a good idea to run an oil with Zinc in it for camshaft life, the Rotella, Valvoline Racing VR1, Mobil1 gold cap, and a couple others still have a good amount of zinc, you can also run the GM EOS additive, wich is zinc. I run the Rotella 5w40 synthetic.

Duane