Thread: What color is your "Caution Max Speed" plate?

Default What color is your "Caution Max Speed" plate?

Just curious what color your "Caution Maximum Permissible Road Speeds In The Following Gear Positions" plate is? The reproductions all seem to be yellow. Most originals are faded out completely but I have seen some on hardtop trucks that were red! The M37's were also red to the best of my knowledge. What color is your's?
    Karl 1969 M715 wo/w

Mine is original and is red. As is the original one in my M37.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    1968 M51 Inflatable Chemical Shelter System http://www.davidallenracing.com/M51.htm
    1953 Dodge M37 weapons carrier http://www.davidallenracing.com/M37.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

Here's mine. I believe they are original.

Default Why are they faded?

Mine looks worse then the one in the picture. I saw the plate in Randy's dash picture looked the same. Wonder why all the other plates look good but the "speed" plates are faded or invisible?

I believe we went round this tree back in the ole Yahoo days...many were red and faded and some were yellow...dont know why...mine was red in the back ground and is very faded in the background color

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I am not sure of why certain colors do that, but I suspect it was just a paint formulation issue, that only affected certain pigments.

A case in point: Many people used to come into my shop and begin to tell me of their green Honda CB750. The only problem was, that Honda never made a green CB750. They were originally brown, but when the finish was exposed to UV for a couple of years, it would turn green.

POR 15 also has a problem similar to this. It isn't UV resistant, and when exposed to the sun for a year or so, it will flatten out, then slowly fade through to expose the metal underneath.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

If you go to airshows....you will see the P40's that were flown in North Africa in WWII...they may have a shade of OD paint...but they may be pinkish...I saw one at Oshkosh and made a comment that it sure didnt look like any kind of spec paint.

One of the men who restored the plane heard me and said that the original paint that was used faded in the near Saharan sun to this shade...in fact, they painted it with the correct paint and took it over there to fade into the shade it is now.

Who'd-a-thunk our boys were flying battles in pink fighters....not so bad our bleached out data plates, eh?

I have seen red ones and yellow ones, beside bleached out ones. So both colours to my information should be correct.

Anybody know where a person could get a "fake" duplicate plate?, .maybe make the maximum speed like 120 or something, .have a little fun? ? ? just thinkin' out loud. . .lol