Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can a "stock" M715 tow?

Default What can a "stock" M715 tow?

And what are you able to haul with your M715 (stock OR modified)?

Well the truck lists a 3000 lb payload (on highway) and could tow the m-101 trailer, which had a 1500 lb payload. Im not sure if the trailer payload figures into the trucks payload rating or not. Of course the truck uses the pintle type hitch, most civ light an medium trailers use the ball type hitch so a modification is needed to tow civ trailers. I can only imagine a fully loaded stock truck struggled pulling a full load.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

When my truck was part of the fire dept. I volunteer at, it had a 375 gallon water tank in the back. It comes out to a little over 3000 pounds, plus extra for the pump and gear and stuff, so I would say easily 3500 lbs. Completely stock it would do 45, either up a hill or on the straight, lol. No way I would want to take that kinda load very far.

A side note, when I bought the 715, it still had the tank in the back. I would fill it full of water if I wanted to go 4 wheelin' on my place. It was great, flexed better, had great traction, couldn't really tell the water was even back there, lol.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Thanks for answering so quickly gentlemen. If the bed was left empty, could towable weight then increase to around 4,500 pounds (plus weight trailer equivalent to M101 weight)?

Getting the load moving would not be the problem with these trucks - I would be more concerned about the stopping aspect.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

The maximum towed load on the pintle, per the spec plate, is 4500 lbs. A good equalizer hitch would give you a lot more capacity. I have hauled over 2 tons in the back of mine without it even really looking loaded. Before I attempted to tow my car trailer loaded, I put on electric trailer brakes. I have no problem pulling whatever I want, . .just not very fast, . and think about that load back there when you put your foot on the brake. In regard to leaving the bed empty, you aren't going to significantly change the towing capacity, . .I would try to equalize the load to some extent, so you have good traction on your rear tires. I hauled about 1800 lbs of plywood into Rubicon springs in my truck, . .it was more difficult getting OUT because of climbing the hill without weight in the back, . ..

I have pulled a large bus that was sitting in mud with flat inside tires on the rear dually axle...this bus was full of engine blocks, heads, and sheet metal...one could not move backward from the drivers seat without being on top of engines all the way to the rear.

Someone put my video on youtube of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e18pW7TlWg

When mine was stock, I pulled my 2000 pound car trailer loaded with cars all the time. The biggest being a 1979 Cadillac Sedan Deville 100 miles. Up to 30-40 mph it drove the same as empty. Above that and the truck was gutless with every hill slowing us down to 25-30. Then there was the issue of stopping. I planned ahead on all stops and gave traffic plenty of room. But, it did it.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have hauled 3 yards of wet, fresh out of the ground, granite...was told it was 2850 lbs a yard...thats well over 8000 lbs with me in the truck. I have a hard top and troop seats...the rock ws piled up as high as the roof in the middle and angled down to the top of the 2nd board of the troop seat...so only 1 board of the seats was clear of the rock.

The front end was light at about 5 mph so I didnt go faster than that but did drive over 20 miles home.

Went back and got 2 more yards a couple days later and it drove nice.

My M715 has a 454, turbo400,np205 and 4:56 gears and stock brakes. I use it to tow quads and a jeep on a trailer. I do not have trailer brakes but keep the trucks brakes adjusted. With the 4 quads the trailer weighs about 3500 pounds. The truck brakes just fine most of the time. But going down hill you need to keep more space between you and cars in front of you and keep the speed down as you can overheat the brakes and things will get interesting fast. From my experience if towing more then a couple thousand pounds I would get trailer brakes. I will have them before next year for added braking ability.
    Kevin