Thread: Atlas II

Default Atlas II

Anyone know first-hand about the Atlas II transfercase? Looking for the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly about it.

Thanks,
    Snuffy

The good: Lightweight, gear driven, lots of options for clockabilty, twin stick from the start, and lots of options for adaptabilty. they are also short overall front to rear.

the bad: (these are my opinion) aluminum case, PRICE, and the input to output centerline can cause front driveline clearance issues.

originally it was not recomended to run these in heavy vehicles, but i think that problem may not be anymore. my boss has one in his cummins powered blazer without any problem so far. i also think they are too expensive and unless you need the crazy low range a np205 is fine. i am going to go with a JBconversions lomax. the lower low range is nice, and it is a stronger case IMO. not to mention the kit is just over 1k and the stock 205 you need for parts are a dime a dozen.

i don't know anyone personally that has had problems with the atlas, i just like the lomax better personally as an aftermarket t-case. the wear parts are available at napa and the hard parts never go bad. alot of the seal are available at the local parts house for the atlas, but the funny little thing that are specific to them are not.

I actually had a NIB Atlas (from an earlier project), that I sold rather than put into my truck. I've run 2 of them in SWB jeeps previously. They're bullet-proof in smaller vehicles, but I just don't think they would survive well in larger vehicles. When I called Advance Adapters to talk to them about it, they would neither recommend it nor warranty it if I ran it in a 715.

The option I chose at the time was a 203/205 doubler. It's GREAT offroad, but it's a BEAR to get everything fit in between the frame-rails. The X member/front D/S fit was also a stone-.

In retrospect, I would do either JUST a 205 or if the budget was there, a Stak 4x4 box. I spoke to them at length and they have no issues with their stuff even in 1-ton tow-rigs.

Did the 3.0:1 Highlander because I can engage the Ranger and knock the low down to the 2.0:1 range. Running a 300hp 350 and 38s on stock rims. Rig is 5,500-6,000lbs. Dunes, Moab crawling, street, etc. Been about 6 months since I put it in and no issues.

I've got some decent experience with these cases. Go for the 32-spline front output shaft. As long as you keep the tires no bigger than 44- or 46-inch, total vehicle weight under 10Klbs, and the horsepower under 800 there's no issues. Any one or combo of these 3 could potentially pose a problem for it, but I doubt it.

I have 2 and 4 speed Atlases in 3 of my rigs. Never any problems or issues, but the rigs are lighter and smaller than a 715. I agree with Dummy's post though, and will probably use one in my 715 project as well.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB