Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield to Cowl Weather Strip

Default Windshield to Cowl Weather Strip

Was going to put the windshield on today but have delayed. I mounted the new weather strip and it doesn't look right. I have no point of reference since my old weather strip was rotted off. The screw holes line up perfectly, strip to windshield, as well as the defroster slots and side notches, but the strip seems too wide on the outside and it doesn't go all the way under the frame. Almost like it is offset. The pictures below are hard to see the problem but in the first you can see the strip sticking up beyond the outside frame and in the next the outside of the strip. Both are of the same end.(yes, the paint is the same, just flash vs no flash!)

Should the strip go completely under the frame and be exposed on the dash or does it extend to the outside forming a channel?

I think you have it on upside down. The ribbed part goes down against the cowl. You have it on the correct way front to back, just upside down.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I think you have it on upside down. The ribbed part goes down against the cowl. You have it on the correct way front to back, just upside down.
    That may explain it. I'll take a close look tomorrow. I thought the ribs were down. As I said, I never saw one on so did not know what to look for. Mine was 70% gone when I got the truck. Today I just lined up the screw holes and thought that was it!!

The front lip rides up on the front of the windshield frame. Yours seems to be pointing down at the cowling.

Once you do get it on, you won't be able to raise the windshield all the way. I had to adjust my hold downs and they still weren't high enough. 2 years later, and it has finally seated enough to be easy to latch back down again.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

I agree with Barrman. It looks like it is upside down. I also have the same problem with the new seals being extremely tight. I needed a ratchet strap on the windshield to the cab footman loop to pull the windshield tight enough to latch and put on the canvas top windshield frame.

Default It upside down!

Yep, wrong way. If it's tight after replacing the seal, won't pulling on the frame bend it to get it latched?

One would think so, but it is tougher to do than you can imagine.

Default Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    One would think so, but it is tougher to do than you can imagine.
    Any advice to get it latched?

Do as Kwai did. I copied him. Run a 1" ratchet strap from the footman loop at the top center of the windshield to the footman loop at the back of the cab and pull it in, latch it, remove the strap and enjoy the new noises it makes for a few months. Each time you go to latch it down, it will get easier.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

My windshield was tight with the new seal, but still it was possible to latch it. I installed the top side frame on each side, then bolted the frames to the windshield frame and that pulled it back enough.

And yes, it will make some wonderful noises for a bit!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™