Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michelin XL or XML

Default Michelin XL or XML

Hello all, I'm new to this forum so take it easy on me. I have a 68 m715, and planning to do a soa and have a set of 2.5 rockwells to swap in. My question is whats the best size michelin to run? I like the xl tread pattern, I was looking at the 11.00r20 xl from berg tire, but are these going to be to skinny for the wheel whell. Also looked at the 395/85R20 xml also from berg tire, but are these going to be to tall and wide? I live in pa so inspection laws require the tire to be covered by the fender. If anbody has some pics of there rigs with these setups, it would be helpfull to give me a idea. Thanks,Pete

16R20 on rockwells.
    I didn't flip the rear hubs yet, so they stuck out too much.

I had a set of 12.5 x 20 xml's on stock 2.5 ton split rims under my truck. I think they looked like a perfect fit. With the hubs flipped out, the tires were still inside the fenders. I tried to post a picture using image shack but could not get it to work.

If you have the skills needed to switch axles, you certainly have the skills required to extend the width of the fenders to cover the tires.

That said, I see truck and jeeps all the time here in PA that don't come close to having tires under thier fenders. maybe for inspection they put on smaller wheels? Dunno, but its common around here.

Also, depending on how you want to use the truck, you could title it PA historic (what I did). ZERO inspections required... ever.

By the way, where are you in PA?
    Zach

Selinsgrove,pa. Thats about 45 min north of harrisburg. I plan on using it as a dual purpose rig. For trail and towing a gooseneck car trailer to pull my fj40 around. Plan on swapping in a 5.9 cummins with a nv4500. When you title your rig that way isn't there a limit on mileage per year and your only allowed to drive it dusk till dawn? Don't you have to send in pictures also. I have a set of 44" tsl's for it, but after I got them, realized that the truck would never pass inspection.

Okay, sure. If you want to tow, you have to have it titled as a truck.

Seems to me that simply extending the fenders for your 44 TSL's would be easier then the axle swap, unless you would rather have the rockwells. And it seems that you will need to extend the fenders anyhow. You could make the extensions easily removable if you wanted to keep a "stock" look except for inspection time.

Zach

I want 4 wheel disc brakes and nobody makes a kit for our trucks anymore. I already have the rockwells. Thought about sellings the 2.5's for a chevy dana 60, 14 bolt combo, theres alot better locker,gear and aftermarket support for that setup. Plus theres no 30 spline axles off the shelf for our stock setup. I'm leaning towards the xl's for two reasons. One, the xl's are about 4-6" narrower than the tsl's of the same size, and two, I think the xl's look like they came from the factory when on our trucks, this keeps johnny law from asking two many questions.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

One thing with the Rockwells and a SOA setup, is that you will probably end up so high, that towing a gooseneck will be next to impossible.

Also keep in mind the Rockwells are equipped with gears around 6:72 or so. That Cummins will be screaming without some serious overdrive.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Yeah already thought about a gear vendors unit. As far as the gooeneck, I have a steel shop right out the road from me thats going to extend the gooseneck height on the trailer for me. I don't think the gearing is going to be that much of a problem considering that the m35's had these axles, with a diesel, and 9.00r20's and could muster 65mph. I'd be running at least a 12.00r20, about a 44.5" tall tire. The truck will be doing 95% of its driving below 50 mph.

how do you upload a pic into the forum from you pictures. tried the imageshack way and it didn't work.