Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting problems from the new guy

Default Starting problems from the new guy

Hi all,

I have a Stock 1967 M-715 that had a rather nasty oil leak around the timing chain cover. I've since removed the distributor, oil pump, cover, and replaced the gasket, however now that it's back together, I cannot get it started.

We do have spark, it runs on ether, but I'm 1) unsure all of the vacuum lines are routed correctly and 2) fairly sure it's not getting fuel. Suggestions?

pull the fuel line at the carb have someone crank on it see if you are gettting fuel if not move to the fuel pump if not getting fuel there disconect the inlet line and try to use compressed air blowing to the tank . I had this problem with mine seems that an owner of the truck added a filter inline and was pluged

Jester Guest

Are you stock 24V? The vacuum should only run the wipers - no vacuum advance on the dist.

Does it actually "run" on ether, or you just hear it firing randomly?

Get the distributor back in right?... Could be off a tooth or more.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Does it actually "run" on ether, or you just hear it firing randomly?

Get the distributor back in right?... Could be off a tooth or more.
    Isnt there something with putting the cover back on that can cause it to be off a tooth? I know mine is off. I rotated the plug wires one spot on dist to get them somewhat right.

Not with just removing the cap, but when removing the entire distributor you have to mark which direction the rotor is pointing and make sure it's the same way upon reinstallation. The gear on the distributor and the one on the crank will mesh together in a number of arrangements, but only one will have the spark plug firing at the correct time....could be firing with the intake or exhaust open right now.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

1) No fuel is coming out of the pump. The filter is no plugged.

2) It is stock 24V-good to know I don't need advance on the dist. I'm guessing it's a pump issue then.

3) It ran for a good thirty seconds on the fuel in the float bowl, so I'm going to assume that while the degrees advance/retardation may not be ideal, they are close enough.

4) I did not mark the dist. I did have the entire assembly at TDC before disassembly, and reinstalled it the same way. As mentioned above, it ran, so it seems to be a fueling issue.

With the info on the vacuum, I'm just going to go ahead and examing the pump closer. Thanks all-I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    1) No fuel is coming out of the pump. The filter is no plugged.

2) It is stock 24V-good to know I don't need advance on the dist. I'm guessing it's a pump issue then.

3) It ran for a good thirty seconds on the fuel in the float bowl, so I'm going to assume that while the degrees advance/retardation may not be ideal, they are close enough.

4) I did not mark the dist. I did have the entire assembly at TDC before disassembly, and reinstalled it the same way. As mentioned above, it ran, so it seems to be a fueling issue.

With the info on the vacuum, I'm just going to go ahead and examing the pump closer. Thanks all-I'll let you know how it turns out.
    The experience I have with mine is that it will run with the timing way off. If its not running at all, I would say your issue is the fuel not timing.

Rebuild kits for the fuel pump are few and far between. If you do find them, they are 40 yr old NOS. Who knows how long they will last.

If you want to lose the vacuum for the wipers, then there are other mechanical fuel pump options. Look in the manuals section for one.

There are other threads about electric fuel pumps too. 24V will be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    The experience I have with mine is that it will run with the timing way off. If its not running at all, I would say your issue is the fuel not timing.

Rebuild kits for the fuel pump are few and far between. If you do find them, they are 40 yr old NOS. Who knows how long they will last.

If you want to lose the vacuum for the wipers, then there are other mechanical fuel pump options. Look in the manuals section for one.

There are other threads about electric fuel pumps too. 24V will be expensive.
    just get a 12v electric and step down the 24v np easy fix

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Overfiend View Post
    just get a 12v electric and step down the 24v np easy fix

Yup, could do that too. Personally I hate electric fuel pumps - and my truck has one. They die at the most inopportune time - and mine did.