Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wider Fender Extensions??

Default Wider Fender Extensions??

Q: Has anyone ever put wider fender extensions on an M715??

I'm looking at mounting wider tires, and this will result in quite a bit of tire sticking out beyond the stock fender extensions. (Already sticks out approx 1.5" on each side now with the Gama Goat rims... Might end up sticking out more with new tires/wheels... depending on what width/backspace I select...)

I'm considering either making new fender extensions that are a couple of inches wider, OR perhaps riveting extensions to the stock extensions (these could be metal, rubber, plastic, or??).

OR maybe I'll just leave it as-is & enjoy the mud that gets thrown everywhere!

Just curious to see if anything like this has been done before....
    "Bear"
    '67 M715 #11133

Nah, get some offset rims so the tires stick out of the wheel wells. Mine is set up like that and its nice to have the tires bounce off the trees rather than the body!

Last edited by gimpyrobb; November 12th, 2008 at 12:26 AM.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Q: Has anyone ever put wider fender extensions on an M715??

I'm looking at mounting wider tires, and this will result in quite a bit of tire sticking out beyond the stock fender extensions. (Already sticks out approx 1.5" on each side now with the Gama Goat rims... Might end up sticking out more with new tires/wheels... depending on what width/backspace I select...)

I'm considering either making new fender extensions that are a couple of inches wider, OR perhaps riveting extensions to the stock extensions (these could be metal, rubber, plastic, or??).

OR maybe I'll just leave it as-is & enjoy the mud that gets thrown everywhere!

Just curious to see if anything like this has been done before....
    I have seen it done on one M715 here in Iceland the fender flares vas cut in half en an extension welded in betvene the half so it lokked like it wasorginal after modifacation

Gimpy let me drive his M725...I did like the extra stickout of his tires in tight stuff...bounce the rubber off a tree instead of the metal...which doesnt bounce near as well!!

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Gimpy let me drive his M725...I did like the extra stickout of his tires in tight stuff...bounce the rubber off a tree instead of the metal...which doesnt bounce near as well!!
    Doesn't look like the roof bounced too well. Hope you did not do that

Ah, well, no. Shelley my fiance did. It came before we painted the truck, and everyone said to fix it, but it is a truck for wheeling, if it was fixed, it would just be a matter of time before it came back. Did I get enough commas in that line?

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    Nah, get some offset rims so the tires stick out of the wheel wells. Mine is set up like that and its nice to have the tires bounce off the trees rather than the body!
    I do like that look!!

What size tires / wheels are you running?? What offset? Does it rub at all?

Does anyone have experience with possible extra bearing wear due to deep offset wheels?
    "Bear"
    '67 M715 #11133

The rims I have came with the truck. They are made by firestone. Dunno the offset off hand. Tires are 38.5/14.50/16.5 thornbirds. The tire is an allterrain type but can be made into a nice mud tire with a sawz-all real easy. That pic was just a comparison of my thornbirds(on the firestone rim) to the XL tires(on a stock rim).

Default Rubber Fender Extensions

I don't remember the exact dimensions, but I think I used an 8" wide piece of rubber (or neoprene) about 1/4" thick, overlapped the fender about 4". lined the inside with a second piece of sheetmetal to keep it rigid out to about 2" from the outer edge, bolted it to the fenders about every 6".

Worked great to cover my 44's. Cops thought they were just fine coverage. I can post more detailed pictures when I get home this evening if you want more. They also flexed a little whithout damaging the metal fenders when wheelin and happened to rub up against a tree.

Rollie

Default Rubber Fender extensions

Here's a few more pictures
    On the rear, I added a piece of metal to lengthen the fender flare, before I bolted on the mud flap.