Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 6BT, CUCV Axled M715 Build

you have it right on the backspacing. from the inside edge of the wheel to the mounting surface. from the outside of the wheel to the mounting surface is the offset.....i've spent too many hours looking at a summit catalog, the rest of my time i've just wasted.

The tire spec calls for an 11" wide rim. Think a wider rim will cause any problems with the 4.25 / 4.5 backspacing?
    Let me know the backspacing you think is best and I will work on rims.

I will go out and measure the M34 rim since I brought it back home. But, I think anything wider for rim width will look goofy. The sidewalls are pretty much straight from the tread down to the rim.

I just went outside and measured. 11" wide tread, 8" wide rim and 50 psi in the tire. There is a slight crown to the tread, but I thought all XL's had that crown. Anyway, I will bring 4 with me Friday when I come up for the air show. A wider rim might make the tread flatter, but 8" is about what the tires are at bead to bead when they are just sitting not mounted on anything as well.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

American Racing offers a wheel called "Mojave" in 20" x 10" wide. kind of military looking and iirc about the right offset. (2nd page center)
    http://www.americanracing.com/browse_atx.asp

It is called a graphite finish, but it is more like flat black.

Did someone say Air Show? What Air Show do you refer to? Where? When?

in temple fri, sat, and sunday heres the link http://www.centraltexasairshow.com/s...?base:happy10:

Ok, in the lock to lock picture, you can see the center line of the tire is below the spring.
    I know you can't articulate the axles, but you might want to figure in a little more 'fudge ' room.
    Those are pretty stiff tires, so they shouldn't flex too much, but I could see a little rubbing going on in a couple situations. Basically boils down to how Steve is going to drive it.
    As for the outside, I mostly ignore the sidewalls, just make sure the tread is the part being covered by the flares. That would give you a little more margin of error on your backspacing.

Just ordered the tires and wheels for my 715 project. After much deliberation have decided to use 42-15-20 Pitbull Rockers and 20x10 PSC beadlock wheels with 3.5 " backspacing. Due to the cost factors, only got 4, will need some sort of "spacesaver" spare..maybe a 35 or 36 on a 8 inch wheel.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Tim bring your hammer....

I spent almost an hour trying to get one of the 12.5 / 20's on a stock deuce rim. I can not get the ring on no matter what I try. On a bucket, held up with a hoist, on the floor, with Carson standing on the lock ring. Me cursing it, etc.
    I think the tire is getting caught in the lock ring grove and not allowing the tire to slide down.
    How did you get the tire mounted?
    I have 2 riveted rims cut that are need welded to widen the rims one more dis mounted and one tire that does not want to come off.

This week is supposed to be a forced vacation for all teachers at my year round school. I don't have the time to take the entire week because of MV trips and Scout camps. So, I convinced the higher ups that I would do class related activities in my room if I could come in. Today was "Get the 6BT started" day.

I had a few gallons of diesel in a Gerry can and we set up a battery. It took forever, but we finally got all the injectors bled and fuel coming out the return line. To bad I forgot about the return line and wasted all that fuel on the floor before we could run it back to the Gerry can. Anyway, we got it to fire up and run.

A little blue smoke the first few times, but then it smoothed out and ran clean. No knocks or weird noises. The vacuum pump which is between the timing gears and the power steering pump is spitting oil. That could be a new seal or a new part. I haven't looked at it yet. The turbo spins free, without noise and puts out a lot of air. We can tell this because it isn't hooked to anything but the exhaust.

I tried about 5 times to get a video of it starting, running, revving and then turning off. I either screwed up the buttons on the camera, a student walked into the frame, a student knocked the fuel line out of the can or as the only usable video turned out. I didn't start it before I started the engine and the camera battery died before I could rev it. Two gallons of diesel doesn't go very far when the pump and lines are dry and the return line isn't hooked up from the start. However, here is the 6BT idling away sounding happy and ready to go down the road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB_CZyFIIJU
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw