Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 6BT, CUCV Axled M715 Build

SAC715 he teaches at thugs U....lol. His class is a juvie detention center...

Tim, why not get with your fellow teachers and make this a whole auto-shop class project. Let the welding class weld and the body class paint and your class do all the wrenching? I'm just wondering.....
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by SAC715 View Post
    The High Schoolers really like that "Monster Garage" stuff.

Don't let the TV networks find out about your project Barrman. A build-up from "scratch" with a very unique vehicle. Mix in a bunch of potential "characters" that provide the labor, and it could provide the setting for a new "reality" show on the cable networks.

What a pain in the axle to have a bunch of TV folks around every day, paying for all the equipment, buying lunch, etc. and providing you stock options based on the success of the show.

Pretty soon, you'd be saying "Idee-er" when a thought comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MarknessMonster View Post
    Don't let the TV networks find out about your project Barrman. A build-up from "scratch" with a very unique vehicle. Mix in a bunch of potential "characters" that provide the labor, and it could provide the setting for a new "reality" show on the cable networks.
    Yeah...with all their faces pixeled out and their voices electronically altered!

This is going to be a fun thread to follow! Thanks, Tim!
    -- Tim Taylor

Hell,half of my class is on probation and a couple just came from the Big House, so what's new. Kind of keeps you on your toes.
    On a serious note, that kind of project really helps some of these kids find a purpose in life. Makes you fell good when they do.
    BUT back to the humor...Can we just call him Chip instead?

Aren't the frame rails 32inc/c, if you are going to put a chevy 60 axle under the front, put the spring mounts to match the 60? I mean as long as you are going to have to weld, weld on the frame, for the spring mounts, and not the center section of the diff. 02.

OK where are my drool pic's?

Well, lets see.

I have two students in the class after lunch removing the really rusted and stuck front leaf spring bolts from the Houston frame. They have one more to go before the springs are all off that frame. Nothing to really show on that yet.

I worked a deal with the welding teacher where I am going to install a brush gaurd on his truck so he will let me use the plasma cutter whenever I want. I also have a Auto Body student lined up to help with the exact measuring for the spring perches. (This is supposed to be a student project and I try to let them do it all.) Again, no pictures are needed.

Another student has cleaned up the rear springs and started painting them and the rear frame yesterday. He has more cleaning and painting to do so pictures are needed yet.

I took the rear spring u-bolt plates home last night and drilled them out to 5/8" to fit the gigantic u-bolts the guy in Cat Springs threw in. Those can't be mounted until the student is done painting, so still no pictures.

Yet another student is about 15' from me right now trying to make that small 24V alternator fit the Cummins mount. He kepts telling me it won't fit and I have kept typing. I better go see if he is right or not.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

He was correct. Kind of. Just a little cutting and modification are needed. The cutting will be on the Cummins bracket. It might make going back to 12V a problem. Are you sure you want 24V? Before you answer that, it might be a good idea to figure out if the IP on/off solenoid can live with 24V. I will look around and see if I can find an answer.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

You might not have a choice. We pulled the pulley off the 12V alternator to find that the nut was JB welded on. The threads are shot on the shaft. The pulley of course is a metric size that is just a hair bigger than the standard sized shaft on the 24V alternator. I will look through my stuff and see if I have any more serpentine pulleys the right size.

We broke for the holiday break today. I remembered to get a few pictures before I left though.

The front spring mounts have been removed from the donor frame and welded onto the new frame, the best 2 our of 6 possible front springs were selected along with the best front shackles and installed. They have also been painted.

The rear shackle flip is easy. Flipping over the front spring hanger on the rear took most of this week with a grinder, plasma cutter, torch, hammer and chisel. They finally came off with about 10 minutes to go in class today. We will cut the new holes on the 5th and that will get the rear springs installed again and the rear axle bolted on. Everything that is going on the truck has been covered with black spray paint. Including the axles.

The tie rod has been relocated to the top of the steering arm as well. HUMMV rims will not work on either end of a CUCV axle set up. The knuckles are in the way in the front and the frame/springs in the rear. Since we only have 2 normal 8 lug rims here with tires, the front has HUMMV rims bolted on backwards to let us roll the axle around.

Here are the pictures. Along with a teaser for Pistolnut of his winch back on his truck in the background:
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]