Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie

Default newbie

Hello all
    glad to be a part of this group.
    a little about myself I'm the Emergency Management Director for a small town in south central Oklahoma and IC for the Fire department.

And with saying that I'm looking for a M725 ambulance or radio truck to make into a command unit.
    I have a 1987 jeep GW right now but would love to have a M725.

Thanks for letting me join a great group of people.
    JB

Welcome to the madness. There is a M725 near me that I haven't been able to get in contact with the owner of. When I do, I will let you know the price.

That being said. I would recommend a M109 2-1/2 ton multifuel as your starting point. Especially, since you are right in the middle of a massive turn in of those things with your state right now. Or even a M35 with a S-280 shelter in the back.

Don't get me wrong, the M725 is a neat truck and can go about anywhere. However, the M109 has twice the room, twice the capacity, better road speed, parts are everywhere and you can run it on used motor oil when the budget gets slim.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Welcome - I live in Loco - where are you?

Thanks for the info M35? and M109 I've thought of but the size.

I'm in Allen south central area.

The size usually won't be a problem once you get the hang of driving a 6x6. It'll only take up one parking space width-wise and usually 1 1/2 in length. (Maybe two) But if you plan on running off road in a wooded area, you might have some concerns about dragging the paint off on trees and doing other damage. Also, the wind does like to blow those big boxes around on the highway.

Each platform has advantages and disadvantages.

[I] would love a 6x6 but I think it.s a little over kill over a one man maybe two man command unit. I.m the IC for a small town FD and Emergency management department so I don't right now think that we need that big of a truck.

But thanks for getting me thinking about it now.

I was looking for something I could drive to my real job daily and if needed i could leave and go to the scene.

That makes sense. What about a trailer? Say a 1-1/2 ton M105A3 with either a shelter unit in it or fixed sides.

I used my M105 as my "command trailer" during a weekend Scout camp out a few weeks ago and it worked great. I had a cot, all my stuff in it and a writting surface for the paperwork. I was also dry, relatively warm compared to out side and had privacy. I didn't, but I could have just left it set up as it was and be ready to go next time out. My M715 pulled it to that event, but so can either of my M35's.

I am not trying to talk you out of a M725. Having been around M725's on tight hilly trails, mud pits, Tennessee hills and in the mountains of Colorado. I think they are great and can do just about anything a M715 can as long as they can fit under everything. I just don't want to see you get something that really might not be what you need.

A fellow member here, Sermis, has a nice solid M725 with a 350 in it. It runs great, has the big Michelin tires, winch and can go just about anywhere. You might want to PM him and see if he is interested in selling it. That might be easier and cheaper in the long run than building one up over the next few years.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have a 1987 Jeep GW that I just got but I think I would like a M725 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleneoc View Post
    [I] would love a 6x6 but I think it.s a little over kill over a one man maybe two man command unit. I.m the IC for a small town FD and Emergency management department so I don't right now think that we need that big of a truck.

But thanks for getting me thinking about it now.

I was looking for something I could drive to my real job daily and if needed i could leave and go to the scene.

Makes perfect sense, and a 725 should be a good fit for you. But here's a little more food for thought... I used to daily drive an M35A2w/w to work at a new car dealership. I'm still known far and wide for that!

I would believe that!!!