Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Isuzu 4BD1T swap

Jester Guest

Question Isuzu 4BD1T swap

These 3.9 diesels came in Isuzu NPR trucks. Looks like a good canidate for a swap. Very similar to a 4BT but revs a bit more from what I have seen. There is also a company that makes a engine/trans adapter.

http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/

Has one of these ever been swapped into a M truck? What are the drawbacks? Pros/cons vs 4BT?

Jester Guest

I think your 230 makes similiar power and torque. The only gains would most likely be fuel economy, with an overdrive trans. I think you would lose some off road driveability by changing gears. But the diesel would most likely handle off camber better. But how much off camber can you get these trucks into? You almost ready for a shake down run? I added some adjustments to my hydraulic clutch setup today and it's back on the road after 3 weeks.

The Isuzu engines are way more available than the 4bt, and in my opinion a turbo 3.9 liter is all you need. I had a mitsubishi fuso FG (4wd pug nose) with a td 3.9 and drug my m-715 back from Montana like it wasn't even there. But is was geared pretty low, would go 60 all day long with any thing behind it. 13 mpg

Stock 230:
    132.5 HP @ 4000
    198 ft/lbs torque @ 2000

Jester Guest

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    I think your 230 makes similiar power and torque. The only gains would most likely be fuel economy, with an overdrive trans. I think you would lose some off road driveability by changing gears. But the diesel would most likely handle off camber better. But how much off camber can you get these trucks into?
    In stock form prob right. But the ability to make more power with "turning up the screw" is interesting. Think you could make 250 hp pretty easy.

You almost ready for a shake down run? I added some adjustments to my hydraulic clutch setup today and it's back on the road after 3 weeks.
    Getting close. Waiting on some parts at this point. Should be good to go after Thanksgiving.

If you can get one for similiar cost of a small block, BB. I'd think about it. Depends upon how much the adapter stuff is going to be. A small block will make better hp and torque numbers, cheaper easier install. And this is from a guy who loves diesels. You have to weigh the cost factor into the equation for what you are getting.

Jester Guest

If you can get one for similiar cost of a small block, BB. I'd think about it. Depends upon how much the adapter stuff is going to be. A small block will make better hp and torque numbers, cheaper easier install. And this is from a guy who loves diesels. You have to weigh the cost factor into the equation for what you are getting.
    Totally agree. A diesel swap is not a cost effective move. I will prob end up with a V8 when/if my 230 dies.

But variety is the spice of life...

I think the M715 is made for a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    The Isuzu engines are way more available than the 4bt, and in my opinion a turbo 3.9 liter is all you need. I had a mitsubishi fuso FG (4wd pug nose) with a td 3.9 and drug my m-715 back from Montana like it wasn't even there. But is was geared pretty low, would go 60 all day long with any thing behind it. 13 mpg
    Way more available, huh? Cheaper too? What are they found in?

So, Saxon.... Think this Isuzu 3.9L would be a good swap for a CJ?
    -- Tim Taylor