Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch adjustment...

Default Clutch adjustment...

I will run through the procedure in the TM, but I wanted to run this by you guys first. My clutch does not engage until the pedal is almost completely up. Like somewhere less than two inches remaining in travel. It seems to engage fine with no slipping, but I don't like the "drive-ability" with it adjusted this way.

I assume this just means it is in need of adjustment, but is there anything else I need to be concerned about or look for while I'm doing the adjustment?

Also, when I put it in neutral and let the clutch out, there is just the faintest bit of "chatter" coming from the transmission. I'm assuming this is related to the same problem, but I'm not real versed on clutches, so I wasn't sure. Thanks!
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Okay, I did a little more investigation here. Some of the clattering noise I'm hearing appears to be coming from the shifter. With the engine off, if I put some left or right tension on the shifter when it's in gear, it squeaks. Same thing when I'm moving it all the way right in the neutral position, like when you're going to get reverse.

This squeaking noise is part of what I'm hearing when the engine is running. The vibration from the engine is apparently causing it to happen constantly. I can achieve the same effect by rocking the engine a little with the truck off, it squeaks at the shifter.

Anybody ever heard of this? Sounds like something with the shift fork. Can it get loose or out of adjustment? I think the other chattering can be fixed with the cluch adjustment, but this sounds like something different.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Okay, in case anyone is actually paying attention to this, the squeaking noise ended up being the parking brake shifter. The vibration from the engine and/or tranny was causing it. I guess I need to take the tunnel cover off and tighten things up.

Clutch still needs adjusted, though.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

The "chattering" that you are hearing is it only when the clutch is disengaged (pedal out)? If so it sounds like it could be a throw out bearing. Only way to fix that is to replace it though, and if your doing that then you might as well replace the clutch while your in there. But also remember that you are driving a 1 1/4 ton military truck that is over 40 years old, not a cadillac, your not going to get much "drivability" out of it

Quote Originally Posted by mean715 View Post
    The "chattering" that you are hearing is it only when the clutch is disengaged (pedal out)? If so it sounds like it could be a throw out bearing. Only way to fix that is to replace it though, and if your doing that then you might as well replace the clutch while your in there. But also remember that you are driving a 1 1/4 ton military truck that is over 40 years old, not a cadillac, your not going to get much "drivability" out of it
    If that is what it is, then I guess I'll just drive it until it breaks. I don't feel much like dropping the tranny out at the moment.

The drivability aspect I was referring to was the throw on the clutch. The clutch disengages after only pushing the pedal down about 2 inches. It doesn't slip, but this makes it hard to drive when you're used to a "normal" clutch, you end up over-revving the engine a lot. I assume adjusting the clutch per the manual will solve this?
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

The clutch adjustment will change where in the pedals range of travel engagement happens...

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The clutch adjustment will change where in the pedals range of travel engagement happens...
    Right. I have almost no free-play, the clutch disengages almost immediately after pushing the pedal down. I was hoping for a little more travel before it disengages.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

I don't think you will really get a much better feel than what you have just because the clutch uses linkage, by adjusting it you are only going to change how much "freeplay" is in the pedal, if the truck used a hydraulic system then the engagement would be a little more gradual and not so abrubt. Personally I think that it is something you will have to get used to. I could be wrong though maybe someone has experienced the same problem and fixed it by adjusting it. The way I figure it is if you make the rod shorter than you can make it so that it engages closer to the floor but then you will have a boat load if play in the pedal before you feel anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mean715 View Post
    ...by adjusting it you are only going to change how much "freeplay" is in the pedal...
    That's exactly what I want to do. I don't mind that it engages quickly once it starts to catch, I just want that to happen when the pedal is closer to the floor. As it is now, the clutch doesn't engage until the pedal is almost completely up. My understanding is that the "free play" adjustment will correct this, but maybe not.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

the adj. you can make will change the pedal free play, which there should be a little bit always. The point of engagement is the result of the material left on the clutch plate, as it wears away the engagment point moves up.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710