Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washer behind pintle?

Default Washer behind pintle?

Is there supposed to be a washer under the castle nut on the pintle? I got a take-off pintle to put on my truck and it didnt come with a washer but when I put the castle nut on it goes on far enought that the hole for the pin is past the end. I'm sure I could just use it that way and put a pin in it and that would keep it from backing off but I'd rather do it correctly.
    I saw a photo taken from the manual in the "pintle" thread but it doesnt show any washer? also I read that there are 3 grease fittings for the pintle, I only have 2 I dont see anywhere for grease to get to the main shaft. I just greased it before I put it in.

Jeff

There should be a grease fitting on the bottom of the crossmember to grease the main shaft...the other 2 are on the side of the pintle, one where the lever lifts and one where the jaw articulates...I take it you have the latter 2.

There is no washer on mine and none listed in the parts manual...if you ned it there is an exploded view of the pintle showing the 2 grease fittings on it in the -34P parts manual, figure 92.

I tried looking at the manuals online but kept getting the 404 page not found message. never looked under the the cross member. I'll look tomorrow. I have the other two fittings, I took it all apart to clean and paint it and it came apart easily but there were no signs of grease in the small shafts.

Just how tight should I tighten the castle nut? I can tighten it by hand enough to snug it up so I cant spin the pintle very easily. Is that tight enough? just put a cotter pin in it and go?

You can download the entire manuals in Adobe Acrobat format by using the links in the right column of the table...just right click the link and save as...

I notice that the -20 maintenance manual says this:

2-113. Removal.
    a. Pintle. (Fig 2-91)
    (1) Remove cotter pin, slotted nut and plain washer from the front end of pintle; remove pintle hook.

So I guess a washer should be there...will have to look at mine in the daylight...

There is no torque listed, just this;

Install pintle hook through mounting plates. Install washer, slotted nut. Tighten securely and install cotter pin.

So as long as it will still rotate freely and is pinned with the cotter pin, good to go.

Thank you Brute4c, Ill look for a big washer to fit.

Jeff

I just checked mine, it doesn't have a washer. The holes are really close to the end of the castle nut. One tail of the cotter is pulled back and set solidly in the notch of the castle nut.

Scott

I just checked mine...no washer anywhere. The cotter pin head is way in the notch of the nut...couldnt be deeper.

Not sure why yours would have a difference there...possibly a pintle off something else, though unlikely as I have never heard of another vehicle that uses one very similiar to ours...would be nice when people need one...or maybe the pintle was removed and part of the mount hole was ground off front or rear or both...again seems unlikely because...why?

I dont see any reason you cant use whatever spacer, washer or otherwise, to shim the nut to provide a proper placement of the cotter pin...as long as you allow the pintle to still spin freely.

Perhaps you have a shorter castle nut than stock. I ran into this on some ball joints once when I lost the new nut. The old ones were a different thickness although identical in all other aspects.

Check that you have the spacer on the outside of the frame rail. My white truck is missing this spacer and results in a loose fit.

That spacer comes off eh? Learn something new everyday!