Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paint

Default paint

well, its getting to that time now, and if im lucky with the weather i might bring the truck out and paint the frame and axles, but anyways, i want to paint the motor OD, what is a good high temp paint for a good price? i have heared about using a high temp primer and a non high temp color. and cure it by letting the engine run for 20 min or so...

i guess the question is, can i do it the cheap way with regular paint (not the spray can paint) and not have to worry if i cure it right, or should i spend the money for the high temp paint?

can i even get high temp OD
    my signature is sweet huh?

Funny, I was just looking at spray paints today. I saw some near-OD in the high-temp paints.

One rattle can ought to cover the whole engine. How much cheaper do you expect to get?

P.S. Second week of December I'll be driving through your neck of the woods. I promise to remember the battery tray this time! You still need it, right?
    -- Tim Taylor

I used automotive paint on my 396 and it was still there when the poor work the machine shop did on the heads became evident. Once I got the heads back, I put good old Gilespie 24052 on all the engine parts I took off. 15K miles and lots of engine later, it is still there. I have used regulare car paint on a lot of engines. The only observation I can offer is the old stand by about preperation being the key to a successful painting.

Exhaust manifolds don't let any paint stay no matter how you prep. It will burn off eventually.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I picked up some Bill Hirsch engine enamel for my transmission.

Pretty good looking green - looks like a glossy, slightly lighter than OD.

5670-5115/D4285 Ford Green
    A's, B's, V-8's to 41-42

Comes in cans and 'rattle paint.'

ok, thanks. hopefully i can start painting the motor soon, i did start painting the chassis, not the way i wanted to, but im painting it ha. i originally wanted to take the body off and paint it, but i might have to end up painting around the cab. im painting the chassis in a hilux flat black. seems to work great so far. tough paint.. i finally have a camera, so ill be able to post pics.

yes binford that would be great if you could. hey if you want it, i have a spare pass door that i have no use for, windows and everything.. if you want it you can have it, one less thing taking up space ha

Very nice! Anyone along my travels need a door, with glass?

I could keep it up here so if someone later discovers a need, they can work out a deal with you. Or I could just bring it to them....
    -- Tim Taylor

yea, anythings fine, i dont need it, and its starting to rain, and i dont want it sitting out back getting rusty. let someone have it if they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Very nice! Anyone along my travels need a door, with glass? Or I could just bring it to them....
    Just drop it off when you come by next, Binford.

Remember how mine is a little rusty around the mirror? Driver's side would be better, as that one is rough, but the price on the passenger door seems alright.

yea, i havnt looked at the door in a while, but i think its ok, ill try to rember to look at it tomorrow.

hey, that door has a dent in it, on the bottom half it looks like it was scraped on a rock, its not bad, but i dont think its fixable, for the price of free though, it might be worth it to someone. if i can figure out how to use this camera ill take a pic, i got the camera for free because the lcd screan is cracked, and i got it to work once and that was it, ill try it again and see what happens.

painted the motor and fire wall.... oh and the new addition it a turbo kit