Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire number 85?

Default Wire number 85?

I installed the heater that I got from Saturn Surplus that was made for the M151 but I am having a problem finding wire number 85 which the manual says is the feed for the stock heater, anyone know where to look?
    Also when I removed the 1/2 inch. pipe plug from the head, it appears to have a screen of some kind behind the plug, I mention this because I am not getting flow back into the head. Water is getting from water pump to heater core, I can blow thru heater core without any problem but the hose from the heater to the head does not get warm.

On the hose, I plumbed from the head which is outflow, to the heater core and to the passenger side of the water pump where there is a hose connection....the suction side of the water pump...see image...this is the coolant flow diagram from the -34 manual...the lower radiator hse attach point on the water pump is the lower passenger side point of the pump where the black arrow comes in from outside...the hose from the heater core goes to a small hose connection on the side of the lower hose connection:

Not sure where you have your hose on the pump...maybe somewhere else?

I know of nothing in the head that restricts flow through that hole...mine was opened up after 30 years and no problem with flow...did you try to poke around in there with anything?

Wire #85...you should look around the steering column...mine was right on top of the column not much behind the flat panel one sees when sitting in the drivers seat. It should be the small male end of a waterproof wire...if that helps...

If anything isnt clear, let me know...

Brute,
    Thanks for the reply. On the passenger side of the water pump near the top of the pump is a 5/8 hose connection that I hook to. I ran from there to the bottom of the heater core. From the top of the heater core I ran to the head on the passenger side between the exhaust maniford ports where the plug was between exhaust ports 5 and 6. Does this sound correct to you?

Basically yes.

You should have coolant flow from the head to the heater core to the water pump.

There should be outflow from the head into the hose...but you say this never gets warm right? Maybe try taking the hose off and starting it and immediately shutting it down...should have flow.

Is the new heater higher or lower than the radiator cap? Might have a trapped air bubble if it is higher...

Im sure you added into the radiator to make sure its still full after enlarging the cooling system...if there is a bubble one usually has one hot hose and one cold...but the cold is usually on the outflow side of the core not the in...

For me, #85 was to the left of the steering column, behind the dash. It was a female, waterproof Packard connector with some sort of dust cover on it.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Brute,
    I think I understand you to say that the water flow is from the head to the core and back to the water pump, I was thinking the reverse was true.

Flow comes into the motor from the lower hose of the radiator...thus that connector is the suction ide of the pump...the small hose fitting on the side of the lower hoses connection is where the heater hose hooks up and is suction as well.

The flow should come out of the head, to the heater core, and back to the waterpump via the connector on the passenger side, low.

Thanks Brute!

No sweat...it works???

brute,
    There was a screen behind the plug that I remove in the head and it was corroded, dug most of it out and now the heater works great. Had to turn the blower off got so hot in the truck. Thanks for your help.