Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.2 swap

Cool 6.2 swap

good morning,

just thought I would ask a few questions and see if anyone has any input or advise.

I have a low mile 6.2 out of a cucv, I aquired the correct flywheel and have been kicking around the idea of swapping it into my 715.

The 715 already has the 350 conversion to the stock trans via a novak kit, the 350 is tired and needs a rebuild regardless.

this looks very straight forward except for the clutch linkage, seems the diesel engine does not have the same free / open bolt holes for the clutch pivot ball as the 350 has?? and the oil lines may interfere as they are right in the way.

Can I block off the oil lines at the block?? the truck may travel 35 miles at a time on the longest journey.

Also it seems that the stock clutch disc and preasure plate will fit up to the diesel flywheel with no problems, may have to find a new pilot bushing??

Anyway, all comments / input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,,,

Foodstamp did one that looks pretty nice, you might ask him. It looked like he used a hydraulic clutch setup. Look at his neverending post.

Thanks for the heads up, I will check out the thread and see what I can find,,,

Oilcan put a 6.2 in his 715 (twice). It was a great motor for the 7. I think he used an sm465, but it sould still work great with a stock trans. He will be along to put his 2cents in soon, I'm sure.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarytrux View Post
    good morning,

>>this looks very straight forward except for the clutch linkage, seems the diesel engine does not have the same free / open bolt holes for the clutch pivot ball as the 350 has?? and the oil lines may interfere as they are right in the way.

>>Can I block off the oil lines at the block?? the truck may travel 35 miles at a time on the longest journey.

I have a 6.2 in my truck but I have a 700r4. Those are the oil cooler lines and from my info you can't plug them with say a pipe plug. Instead just loop them from one to the other if you don't want the cooler. A good place to get info on the 6.2 is the www.dieselplace.com; lots of good info.
    I replaced my lines with braided hoses as the stock ones will break every now and then. Be sure to run a oil pressure guage as you can pump the oil system dry pretty darn quick if you have a leak.
    I'd get rid of the stock glow plug controller and run a ford style starter solenoid and fire the glow plugs with a spring loaded toggle switch. To start hit the glow plugs for 7 to 8 seconds and then crank. Stock glow plugs will swell if you glow for too long but can be replaced with self limiting glow plugs.
    I believe since you are already set up with chevy motor mounts you won,t have to redo your mounts. I think I started with a stock radiator and put a 4 core in it. I'm getting rid of the fan clutch and will run an electric fan.

Oilcan and Rollie have run 6.2's. Matter of fact I have Rollies old truck that i bought as a project truck. Rollie took the body off a 3/4 ton pickup and put the kaiser body on it. It has hydroboost for brakes and power steering, tilt wheel, 208 transfer case, 14 bolt full floater on the rear and I changed the front axle from a dana 44 to a dana 60 since the 6.2 would break the outers on the front axle. Oh it also has a Bank Turbo kit on it also. If you have the whole truck might as well grab as much off of it that you can.
    Last edited by Binford; May 18th, 2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

Thanks for the info, my thought on the oil lines is only due to the clutch linkage, I figured out a way to make it work with the lines and cooler.

the glow plugs are already swapped out and I have the soleniod to fire them off.

Hows your performance with the 6.2? I still have stock gearing, the 350 moves it right along but still tops out at 50MPH not sure the diesel will agree with that rpm.

Hydraulic clutches are really easy to set up in these machines if the oil lines are an issue.

Performance is pretty good. It's not a racecar but you can really feel the torque. I get 25 mpg, the axles are swapped remember and have 4:10 gear sets with lockouts.

Before I put an exhaust system on mine I could bark the 9.00-16's with the 6.2 pretty easily. Now I have 11.00's and a dual 2" exhaust choking it down. There's still plenty of torque to play with, though. I can't remember the last time I used low range off road.

The whole clutch set can be reused if everything is still in good order, even the pilot bushing.

When I get over this pneumonia I'll take another shot at finishing up the second swap. Still a lot of little things to do.

Jester Guest

How is the reliability of the 6.2? Any mods to the motor you have made?

I want a diesel bad and a 4BT is too expensive right now.