Thread: Replacing heater foam??

Default Replacing heater foam??

Hey guys,

The foam pads on my 'flaps' inside my heater are gone. What would be a good replacement? Any certain type, brand name, density, glue or self-sticking?

Flaps - direct the airflow in the heater unit.

BTW - I have something removed from the bottom of my stock heater (inside the cab portion). I assume it was a directional whirly-gig for air flow. Anyone have a photo of a stock one?

Thanks,
    Snuffy

I used some self adhesive foam weatherstipping with the 3m glue on the backside to dampen or seal the flap doors in the civy heater I installed. The plenum on the bottom of the heater is two round ducts coming down and pointing towards the driver side and passenger side on Dan's stock M-truck heater. My civilian heater plenum is plastic with a rectanglular plenum the points to either side of the footwells. Hope this helps

Truck inner tube cut to exact shape and glued on with pliobond.

I just finished a CJ heater rebuild and it turned out well and will outlast anything else.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Thanks guy! I was wondering if it was a specific heat resistant type foam... you don't know until you ask.

Fisherman - Thanks for the info... mine was missing (I assume it was broken).

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Flaps ; directional whirly-gig
    I love the terminology.

jk

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    BTW - I have something removed from the bottom of my stock heater (inside the cab portion). I assume it was a directional whirly-gig for air flow. Anyone have a photo of a stock one?

Thanks,
    Snuffy
    This isn't a stock one, but I used a plenum from a YJ wrangler (square headlights). It fit perfectly and I only had to drill one small hole (1/8") to mount it. It was only like 10 bucks at a local jeep dealership, and since it was for a fairly new jeep, they had it on hand (didn't have to order it). I know this isn't the best picture but the plenum is the black rectangular-ish thingy in the middle under the dash forward of the parking brake and transfer case handles.

I found some rubber/foam type material at a Hobby Lobby (craft store). It has adhesive backing and was easy to cut and apply. I don't know about the heat tolerance. It's worked so far in the cold.