Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 350 distributor 24v conversion

Default 350 distributor 24v conversion

Iv'e been thinking about putting a 350 in my truck for a while. I going to leave it 24 volt. What is the best way to make a 12 volt electronic non-point distributor run on 24 volts?

If you are running a HEI I think I would just get a 24 to 12 resistor and you are done. the old points GM had a 12 to 9 resistor, I don't see why it would not work.

I was reading on info about stepping down 24 to 12. And some recommended a LM7812 voltage regulator.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Hop onto e-bay and pick up a 24-12V converter. I got one for $30 and its a 10 amp unit. You can also run a power port off of it as well for your cell phone charger, GPS or other 12V accessory. They also have higher amp units too, but that one served my needs.

Resistors, and tapping one battery are all dicey at best and usually give problems down the road. Just do the converter and you'll be happier and more reliable.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I thought about getting that, but for the stereo, cb, cigerette lighter that i'm going to mount in the console. I was wanting somthing a little more simple just for only the distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by fwdstuck View Post
    I thought about getting that, but for the stereo, cb, cigerette lighter that i'm going to mount in the console. I was wanting somthing a little more simple just for only the distributor.
    The 24-12 converters are very simple. A 24V input and a 12V output. 4 wires, that's it. Just be sure that the output amperageis sufficient for the accessories you plan to power.

I was wanting to have 2 seperate units. So I turn my ignition switch off and leave it off. And still be able to run my stereo, etc. I know them 10 amp converters take up alot of space.

That one on ebay made by workman looks small and compact. Might just work.

Quote Originally Posted by fwdstuck View Post
    I was wanting to have 2 seperate units. So I turn my ignition switch off and leave it off. And still be able to run my stereo, etc. I know them 10 amp converters take up alot of space.
    Mine is about 6 inches by 6 inches square and maybe 2 inches deep.

You may need two if you want to power the accessories while the main switch is off. I don't know if there is any draw when the converter is working, even without the accessories being used, though that might pull the batteries down after an extended time.

Here is what I use on my Deuce to power some 12V gauges and a power port for my GPS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DC-REDUCER-2...3A1%7C294%3A50