Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do before a road trip?

Default What to do before a road trip?

Anything need checking before a long (~10K mile) road trip? We've changed all the fluids (except the knuckles, as we need more grease, since it seems they have grease not oil), greased all the u-joints, and everything looks good... new spark plugs, wires, and points, too. Anything we should do before we hop in and start driving?

--Randy
    Last edited by Binford; February 9th, 2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: per request

10,000 mile trip...in an M715?

See a psychiatrist.

Seriously, what route, what kind of surfaces...climates...etc?

Jester Guest

Pray alot.

Get AAA gold membership.

Buy truckload of extra parts.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    10,000 mile trip...in an M715?

See a psychiatrist.

Seriously, what route, what kind of surfaces...climates...etc?
    Hey, we've got the stock 230 running pretty well!

California to New Jersey and back, in a "let's take in the sights and get it stuck in snow enough times to warm up the winch" route.

That reminded me, really need to sew up the hole in the top...

--Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Pray alot.

Get AAA gold membership.

Buy truckload of extra parts.

I have the new AAA Premier with 200 mile towing.

Any specific spare part suggestions? Nothing seems obviously about to fail...

--Bushytails

Years ago I had the same question when my truck was purchased.

The best advice was "check the lug nut torque" and "make sure the brakes aren't dragging". Found some loose ones but the brakes were ok. Also when Hammer recovered his three deuces in Oregon, we found a few loose lugs.

We dont allow 2 accounts for the same IP address...which username are you gonna stick with...Bushytails or randygar?

I will merge the 2 accounts into one but need to know which one to keep.

What should the knuckles be filled with, anyway? the lubrication order says grease, but it seems heavy grease would just stick to the sides away from any moving parts...

--Randy

Can-o-worms....

The lube order does specify grease. Once it gets warm, it lubes well.

Some say, no, use gear oil like civvy Jeeps. This tends to leak out past the felt seals and make problems.

Several member here, and in other vehicles you can find all over the net, use a mix of roughly 50% grease/50% gear oil...a mix known as knuckle pudding...seems to work well...

Some members here found John Deere CornHead grease and it is a thinner grease that is about the same consistency as the knuckle pudding and works well.
    SPECS:
    Special-Purpose Corn Head Grease (AN102562, AH80490, TY24428, CXAN102562, CXAH80490)
    Applications
    · Formulated for John Deere corn head and other slow-speed gear cases

· Extra-soft grade of lubricating grease, required for row-unit gear cases of John Deere corn heads

· -30 to 330°F (-34 to 165°C)

Service rating
    · NLGI grade 0

· JDMJ13A5, J13E6, and J25A

Physical properties
    · Green color

· Contains extreme-pressure additives

· Excellent at high and low temperatures

· Resists moisture and water washout

· Polyurea thickened

· Contains anti-rust properties

Fisherman posted:
    Lucas Red grease is what I used. It looks and acts like grease, but just a little temperature change and it turns into oil. Somewhere around 80 to 90 degrees it melts or loosens up into oil . I noticed some dripping from my knuckles on a warm day sitting in the sun. I'm sure I added a little too much.

Barrman wisely added:
    Remember this. The upper bushing will only get lubricated by what is thrown up by the drive shaft to it. The thicker the stuff, the less will get throw up. Also, if you have lock out hubs none will get thrown up to the top unless you drive with them locked in down the road at speed every few weeks.

I would say you might want to post what states you are going thru and maybe some members who live in those states will give you some contact info if you get in a jam, there are a few of us in NJ , but you got a long way to get that far. I admire you, you got alot of guts. take lots of pics, and if you cant get online on the trip, maybe you can get someone to post your updates as you travel, it should make a great story!!!!!!!!!

when are you planning on leaving?? do you have to do anything to the truck before you leave????

make sure all those fluids are topped off, and bring every fluid the truck uses.
    what spare parts do you already have???? howe much time are you alloting for the trip??

Duane