Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Motor swap opinions

Jester Guest

Question Motor swap opinions

The stock 230 motor is just killing me. Have not been able get the carb to run correctly. It leaks oil like mad - even with a new cap and vc gasket. It just plain runs poorly and has zero power. I am tired of spending time/money on this motor.

I really want to hold out until I can afford a 4BT swap but that is not in the near future - prob be a couple of years at this rate. Should I swap in a V8 and give up the dream of a 4BT? Spend some more on the 230 and hopefully get it running better? Just shut up and drive until it blows up?

O great ones, impart your wisdom. Ease my pain.

There are so many options you can do in your position. First find out what is wrong with your motor do a compression check, oil pressure etc. to see what the fundamentals are. If the motor needs a rebuild then I would do a junkyard motor swap maybe using the existing tranny ect to keep it cheap depends on adapters etc.. If the motor is good then keep what you have until you save up enough cash to do the 4bt. Enlist some help on getting the motor running it is not to bad running with the stock motor you kinda get use to the performance(or lack there of). Of course you get braggin rights for having a "Hemi"

I kept my stock motor until the crank decided to part ways and made some cool vents in the side of the block and destroyed everything in the front of the motor. I'am much happier with my 454. But will be going 4bt when the right deal comes along.

Have fun!
    Kevin
    68 M715 Modified

Well, any decent engine swap is going to cost some good money, no matter how you try to look at it. Take is from someone who has spent/wasted a fortune on engines. Do it once! I did the small block conversion, it was great. plenty of power. 5 mpg on its best day with stock gears and then 4.56's. Do not waste any money on transmission adapters for the stock trans....buy an engine/trans combo.

Think of it this way...What is your budget for a small block conversion? How much is a Known, functional, good running small block with trans going for? A respectable small block and trans set up would set a guy back at least $1000 + cost of installation material.

go with the BBC. to hell with 4bts. nothing spells chest hair like a big block

Well in that case, go with a 500 caddy, and leave those little Chevy boys behind. Nothing says "I'm at the gas pump again" like a big block.

Hey Jester, if you REALLY want a 4BT, watch the Dove-bid and other such auctions, the last one I was looking at was a step van 4BT with an Allison automatic that ran, complete truck that went for $750ish.
    I am not ready to do my M yet so I quit at $700. I know, that takes time, you would have to wait, BUT you would end up with what YOU want.
    If getting the M going and getting to drive it is REALLY what you want, then go with the "easy" Chevy 350 type swap. I want to be able to drive mine as a Daily driver (not that I will, but I want that option) and I can't do that at 5-10mpg. So as cool as a monster 454-500cu. in. or whatever would be, not a good choice for what I want. But this is about what you want!! So you have to decide on the budget you can live with and a realistic time line for you and that will show you the way. If your 230 was working alright, then I would run it and save for the time when you could do the 4BT, since it isn't, well I wouldn't throw good money (or time) after bad on the 230. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Jeff

Default Motor Swap

My current 715 swap is getting a 468 Stroker Lingenfelter BBC and a TH400 with dual t-cases.
    Sure an OD trans would be nice but I had this other stuff just lyin' around, so it made the best short-term economic sense. Long-term economic considerations had/have me leaning to a 12-valve Cummins and NV4500, but the 3000 bucks to buy the donor truck will cover a large cost differential for fuel. For now anyway.....
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Jester Guest

All good advice. Long term I want the 4BT. Eventually I will have one. I would rather not do a swap twice so I guess the wise solution is to find someone to help me get the 230 running decent and start saving cash.

I think the easiest, cheapest swap would be something out of a J truck or civilian Jeep truck. I would choose a V8 version personally. If you get a good runner costs would be low. I happen to know where there is a perfect candidate. Fuel mileage will be between 8 and 10 mpg with stock gears. I would like a 4bt or cummins also. The cost doesn't justify the expense for me. I can afford the gas seeing I only drive a couple times a month. Personally I wouldn't spend another dime on the 230, ask me how I know. How long will it take to save up for the 4bt? If you can wait then wait. If not I'd go the J truck v8 route. Just my .02. Also how heavy is a 4bt? I know how heavy a v8 is. Will the power to weight ratio be worth it also? How easy is the 4bt swap? Can you do it yourself? The v8 swap was straight forward. The 4bt will most certainly require a gear change, not a neccessity with a v8, lots to consider.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    I think the easiest, cheapest swap would be something out of a J truck or civilian Jeep truck. I would choose a V8 version personally. If you get a good runner costs would be low. I happen to know where there is a perfect candidate. Fuel mileage will be between 8 and 10 mpg with stock gears. I would like a 4bt or cummins also. The cost doesn't justify the expense for me. I can afford the gas seeing I only drive a couple times a month. Personally I wouldn't spend another dime on the 230, ask me how I know. How long will it take to save up for the 4bt? If you can wait then wait. If not I'd go the J truck v8 route. Just my .02. Also how heavy is a 4bt? I know how heavy a v8 is. Will the power to weight ratio be worth it also? How easy is the 4bt swap? Can you do it yourself? The v8 swap was straight forward. The 4bt will most certainly require a gear change, not a neccessity with a v8, lots to consider.

The 4bt would not be a cheap swap. Lots of things to consider with it. A Buick 350 or an AMC 360 would be the cheapest swap for sure. The question is do I want to do a swap twice. Reality is, that I prob would not go thru it twice. Reality is also that it will take me awhile (years) to save up for a 4bt swap at the current rate.

I dont know if I can even really afford a V8 swap right now. Budgets are tight. What do you think a simple J truck swap would run? I would even be willing to go with an auto trans for ease.