Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M715 and a plow

Default M715 and a plow

So Im planning on plowing with my 715 this year.
    Light-medium duty plowing of my driveway in the Northeast.

I saved a 7 ft Fisher off an old 78 K5 blazer plow rig I had.
    I plan on re-using as much as that plow as possible.

I have many questions.
    First off who plows with their 715?
    Im thinking Im going to need some rear weight and possible chains.

Does the 230 have enough ummff to power my hydraulic pump?
    The pump was originally on a 350. I'm going to hold off on the powersteering conversion until my plow is functioning. Thinking it a lot to ask for the 230.

Anyone have an pictures of how they mounted up plow frames? Its going to be a custom hack job for sure but Im in need of ideas.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I haven't plowed with mine, but I have seen a nubmer of trucks that were used for plow trucks both by state and individuals.

The frame will offer plenty of strength and mount points, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I don't see why the 230 won't run the hydro pump just fine. The only time it would be under load is when you are actually lifting or angling (if it has that feature) the plow blade, so I'd think the load should be minimal.

The truck weighs in at 5500 lbs or so, so a set of chains and probably a bit of weight in the bed wouldn't hurt. Mine needs some extra weight in the rear in the show pretty much like any pickup. I just add some firewood.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I have seen a civvy 230 run the hydro pump and plow in a Jeep Universal...did a great job on a long driveway on a farm way out in the country.

I know 2 members in Wisconsin who have or had plows with the 230 and said they occasionally used low range but oterwise the trucks plowed fine...and yes, it snows here!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Does anyone have a pic of a pump mounted in thier M715? I'm trying to figure out where/how to mount mine on the 230.
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

Default plowing with a 715

The second reason I bought my 715 was because it had a plow on it.
    We all know the first.
    My truck came with a 7.5 Fisher plow with a hydro pump that ran off the
    230, plenty of power for the pump. A few things come to mind, If you have any hills I would air down the stock tires. After the first time I plowed
    with the 715 I ordered a set of chains from Memphis Equip. I'm also
    looking for a wider plow, 9' would be ideal. with the plow angled snow falls
    into the tire path. Having heat also helps, between driving,operating the
    plow controls,shifting not too often, and using a scraper on the inside of the
    window, a heater was soon ordered next. Back up lights, Does anyone remember my post from a few years ago. I was plowing at night backed into
    the side of my garage, 300.00 window cracked cultered stone, broken tail light = back up lights. It seams I'm always plowing my driveway at night.

I now have a chevy 350 installed with power steering, what a pleasure.
    11x16 XL tires. I got a set of 11x20 chains and cut them down to fit
    the new tires. This winter I'm going to put a set of chains on the front.
    I have a long steep drive way that always gives me a hard time.
    One other thing plow lights, with the plow in the up position you have no
    visibility.

Having my own plow truck
    Plowing the the way I want it and when
    saving 75.00 a pop
    Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserman View Post
    Does anyone have a pic of a pump mounted in thier M715? I'm trying to figure out where/how to mount mine on the 230.
    would be very interested in this pic.

You just might want to take a look at this from e-bay. M715 with snow plow for sale just snow plow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M715-...=p4506.c0.m245

I may have the pump mount laying around the garage, I took the plow set-up off and installed a 350 in place of the 230, used the pump for the steering box.
    It's a fairly easy install, it was mounted on the top right hand side looking into the engine bay from the front.
    I will look tonight and if I find the mount I will get back to you.
    Also I would think of plowing without PS, just my .02

I may have the pump mount laying around the garage, I took the plow set-up off and installed a 350 in place of the 230, used the pump for the steering box.
    It's a fairly easy install, it was mounted on the top right hand side looking into the engine bay from the front.
    Also I would not think of plowing without PS, just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by militarytrux View Post
    Also I would not think of plowing without PS, just my .02
    Thanks for the input and Id be VERY interested in that pump mount.

Maine huh?
    where abouts?