Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990 dodge cummins axles/ motor in a 715?

Default 1990 dodge cummins axles/ motor in a 715?

So i may have access to a first gen 4x4 cummins truck. would the axles and everything fit?

I have seen the cummins fit but what about the dodge axles? dana 60 front and rear i believe.

The axles will fit. For an idea of the front, look at the members who have swapped in CUCV dana 60 fronts. If it was a Cummins truck, it will be a dana 70 rear. There should be a casting into the web of the housing. There are several versions of the Dana 70. It can be made to fit. What is you WMS on the rear?

I have those same axles in my J300, a close cousin of the M715. Beware of the width of the rear brake drums!

I have a Dana 70 rear, not a 60.

Argh... I hate that I can't edit my posts.

If your axles are from a CTD non-OD truck (1991 and earlier), you'll probably have a dana 61 front with 3.08 gears. Keep that in mind...

If you want to edit your posts:

Premium accounts for paying members!!!
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

Quote Originally Posted by 67M715 View Post
    If you want to edit your posts:

Premium accounts for paying members!!!
    Oh, I had no idea

I'll have to pull the pins from Jon's voodoo doll

Quote Originally Posted by tndonor View Post
    The axles will fit. For an idea of the front, look at the members who have swapped in CUCV dana 60 fronts. If it was a Cummins truck, it will be a dana 70 rear. There should be a casting into the web of the housing. There are several versions of the Dana 70. It can be made to fit. What is you WMS on the rear?
    Aren't the Dodge front axles narrower than the GM's by about 2" making them difficult to fit? When I was researching modern axles for my truck concensus was the GM worked but not the Dodge. If that is not correct I didn't need to buy a second axle (GM) since I already had a Dodge Dana 60 with 4.88 gears.

The WMS did change but not sure where the break is. I had a Dodge dana 60 and it was identical to a GM. If it is a Dana 61, I am not 100 percent. I would say if you have the axle and geared the way you would like it, it would be easier to change the springs than regear, etc...... IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantshire View Post
    Aren't the Dodge front axles narrower than the GM's by about 2" making them difficult to fit? When I was researching modern axles for my truck concensus was the GM worked but not the Dodge. If that is not correct I didn't need to buy a second axle (GM) since I already had a Dodge Dana 60 with 4.88 gears.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

Yes, the Chevy axles 2" wider than their Dodge counterparts.