Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are XL's and XZL's the same diameter?

Default Are XL's and XZL's the same diameter?

Well the tire fairy came again and left me these (too large to put under my pillow so they are in my trailer):

There are six 38.5x11.00x16 XL's and two 38.5x11.00x16 XZL's all new, never mounted tires (the one on the right with the siping is my Commando's spare). One set is promised to another Zoner and I am seriously eyeing the XZL's to swap out for the new XL's I just put on my Commando trail rig:

I am not sure if I can get more of the XZL's so if I ran the XZL's in back and XL's in front would that be a problem?

The tire fairy told me she may be able to get one or two more sets of the XL's, what is a good/fair price for these? Also, she can get me the Goodyear Hummer tires (also new and never mounted) in 37x12.50x16 (she says they are 16" not 16.5" but is checking to confirm). What would be a good price for them?

The theory is that 11.00-16 is the same for both styles. Reality is that the XZL tires seem to be a bit wider than the XL version. I don't have exact measurements, but I do know that 5 XZL's stacked on their side are taller than similarly stacked XL tires.

Now, about mixing. I had some tire trouble at the National FE last summer in Colorado. Binford had a mounted and aired up XL for a spare. I had a 9.00-16 NDT and an un mounted XZL. I put his XL on the right front of my truck and had XZL's the rest of the way around. I got severe death wobble above 35 mph, bad pull to that side and a rotten ride. I had two days before driven 110 miles on I-25 with the NDT on the right front corner. The XL was way worse than that. I put the XL on the right rear and all was well again. I would suggest using all the same type at all corners.

Now, the XZL pair would be great for a M101 trailer to pull behind your XL tired M715.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Those Goodyears are 16.5" in diameter, I bet. They also offer little to no traction, even when new. Really.

Dave

What Goodyears? The tires in the pictures are all Michelins.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

What Goodyears? The tires in the pictures are all Michelins.
    On the Tahoe??

Or...

Also, she can get me the Goodyear Hummer tires (also new and never mounted) in 37x12.50x16 (she says they are 16" not 16.5" but is checking to confirm).
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Wink

Thank you kaiser715! And those are BFG's on the Suburban.

I will know within the next few days if the GOODYEAR Hummer tires are 16" or 16.5".

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser715 View Post
    On the Tahoe??

Or...

I looked into them pretty heavily - the XZLs are a bit bigger. That was what was stated on the Michelin site before they pulled the tires from the website.

The XZLs were taller and a bit wider than the XLs - just so there is no miscommunication.

Snuffy

Quote Originally Posted by Grantshire View Post
    Well the tire fairy came again and left me these (too large to put under my pillow so they are in my trailer):

There are six 38.5x11.00x16 XL's and two 38.5x11.00x16 XZL's all new, never mounted tires (the one on the right with the siping is my Commando's spare). One set is promised to another Zoner and I am seriously eyeing the XZL's to swap out for the new XL's I just put on my Commando trail rig:

I am not sure if I can get more of the XZL's so if I ran the XZL's in back and XL's in front would that be a problem?

The tire fairy told me she may be able to get one or two more sets of the XL's, what is a good/fair price for these? Also, she can get me the Goodyear Hummer tires (also new and never mounted) in 37x12.50x16 (she says they are 16" not 16.5" but is checking to confirm). What would be a good price for them?

These goodyears.

The tire fairy have any a little bigger?
    Looking for the 42" xl's and having little luck.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by godevil View Post
    The tire fairy have any a little bigger?
    Looking for the 42" xl's and having little luck.
    Thanks
    Unfortunately not at this time. I need a set myself for The Big Cheese and have asked her to check. If I come up wit anything I willlet you know.

On the 38.5x11.00x16 XZL's I am going to put the two I have on the back and hope she finds me two more. Should work OK that way.