Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed canvas wood bows????

Default Bed canvas wood bows????

Al, Kaiserjeeps is here helping over the weekend do my fire wood cutting and splitting. Yesterday we finished up and decided to install my troop seats and bed bows and canvas. To my surprise the wood pieces I purchased from Bob Cowan are not for my M truck. Probably came from a M35? Anyways after I have meticulously painted everything with insurance from BC that it was a bolt on, now I have to cut some boards. I do not know the length of the uprights that slide into the metal bow corners and down into the stake pockets. Also the 3 curved pieces that support the canvas accross the middle are too long. Can anyone give me these measurements. The wood length for the 3 boards and the length of the 3 curved pieces. Thank You Everyone.

I'm not at my shop right now, But I can get the info your talking about by mid week. If no one else helps out i'll get it by then

The cargo top pocket staves are 25 inches long. The curved top bows are 50 3/4 inches long, holding the tape measure on top of the curve. If you stand it up on end and measure the total height it is 50 1/2 inches. Hope that doesn't confuse.

Scott

Thank you Fishtail for the measurements. Anyone else care to verify this information before I start cutting? Binford, Kaiserjeeps? I don't have a board stretcher and want to make certain I am going to get the proper stock measurements. Thanks Everyone.

Dooh!

You left me a voicemail about that, didn't you?! I'm sorry, Todd! I didn't see the message until late that night and meant to get back to you. Give me a few minutes and I'll verify the measurements for ya.

Measure twice, cut once.

Stand by.....
    -- Tim Taylor

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    I don't have a board stretcher and want to make certain I am going to get the proper stock measurements.
    I could use one of those "board stretchers" at times too.

Okay, there are several points on the vertical pieces that you'll want to know the measurements of, so rather than try to explain it all, I'll let these pictures do the talking.

That is from the bottom of the wood that goes into the stake pocket on the bed. This picture shows the measurement to the stop and to the bottom of the corner.

This next shot is of the top bow measured as fishtail did his--with the tape running along the top of the bow. I got almost the same measurement he did:

My top fits fine, so I'm pretty confident in these measurements. Let me know if you need anything else....
    -- Tim Taylor

Looks like you got it Fish. Thank you for letting me drive your truck. A serious true pleasure. Jeez do people stare as you go by.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

******WARNING******

When you are cutting the top bows, remember to:

find the center of the long bow,
    divide the new measurement in half and
    measure from the center of the arch for the new short bow

If you measure from the end of the long bows the new ones will be lopsided.

Warthog
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Thanks Everyone. When I return from Sturgeon fishing I'll finish up my cutting and get the top installed. Also going to try to tame down some shifter rattles. I might take you up on borrowing the carb off your 350 Al, maybe bring it along for the FE? I will get a timing light and vacume gauge here and do some more adjusting. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks Again.