Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydroboost without power steering?

Default Hydroboost without power steering?

I have a HB setup that I would like to put on, but wont be ready for power steering until I swap axles.

I talked with Elliott, the HB guy. He said that it "should" work.

Any real world experience with this? Here is the setup:

• PS pump pressure to HB pressure inlet
    • HB pressure out to bottom return of PS pump
    • HB low pressure overflow to ruteun on back of PS pump
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Here was Elliott's thoughts:
    Ah....... Ok, I can't swear this will work but I have been told there really is just low pressure coming out of the 16mm HB port. It seems odd but a guy I know tried it and told me that. If it is true..... If...... Then you should be able to successfully just clamp that line to a second return nipple and not have it blow off at higher rpm.
    If it was my rig (and outside) I would try it (while wearing eye protection) as the alternative is to run a remote reservoir and that will cost more and require you to swap your ham can for a round can.
    Let me know what you want to try n tell me how it goes.
    Thanks, George

Im guessing its Elliott from IFSJA If he sais its A go then its probablly A go. Im running the setup with HB,PS, and A 2"ram for assist, and A cooler, with A rez. Elloitt thinks EVERYTHING out and does his homework. He helped me out ALLOT with my doubler setup. Tell Elliott the sais Hi

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I don't think it will do anything if you plumb the pressure to the hydroboost unit, then back to the pump. In original form if I remember correctly, the pressure goes to the hydroboost, then the box, then returns to the pump via the low pressure line.

I may be wrong, but I think you'll just end up with a pump that feeds through the hydroboost and back to itself without any boost at all.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Randy,
    correct on the original routing. I read that the steering gear works on pressure, where the HB works on flow. Not sure the accuracy, it was just a post that I read. I also saw this:
    Being that the hydroboost and the steering box are both open center items, I'd think that if you simply tee the HP out on the hydroboost, into the return, it'll see it as that it has a steering box downstream that is never steered... so it should be fine.

I wouldn't cap it--that'd probably force the pump to run at bypass pressure all the time, probably destroying the pump very quickly.
    Thanks, George

I found this about using 2 pumps; 1 for steering, 1 for HB:
    Hook up the steering with one pump just like you would without a hydroboost.

The other pump and hydroboost...

1. Pressure line from the pump to the pressure side of the hydroboost (the hole closest to the accumulator).

2. There's two lines left on the hydroboost, a low pressure and a high pressure. BOTH LINES must go back to the reservoir separately. Do not plug of the second high pressure line, do not Tee these two lines.

That's pretty much it.

http://www.vancopbs.com

Last edited by Flingarrows; March 15th, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
    Thanks, George

If you are going to have power steering later why not just do it the first time? I have hydroboost on mine with the stock axles and it stops better than a lot of newer rides, plus its already there if I swap axles.

Quote Originally Posted by ou719 View Post
    If you are going to have power steering later why not just do it the first time? I have hydroboost on mine with the stock axles and it stops better than a lot of newer rides, plus its already there if I swap axles.
    Its a money thing right now, I need to replenish the hobby fund (unlike the government, I dont dip into the general fund when I am out of money, I just have to wait until more money is available ) , . I don't have the steering gear and pitman arm, and not sure if I will need new drag link or drag link end to swap to PS on the existing axle.

I already have the PS pump, HB, new MC, new brake lines, and new PS lines. It wont take too much to put it in. I already re plumbed the front brakes, I have the plug to cork the distribution block, I just need to run a new line from the dist block to the new MC and a new rear line.

I had bought the HB for my CJ, but never got around to putting it in. When I got the 715, I got in touch with Elliott and bought a 715 adapter bracket, sold the CJ bracket. So I pretty much have the parts sitting there
    Last edited by Flingarrows; March 16th, 2012 at 07:11 AM.
    Thanks, George

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Running two pumps seems like double complication to me, but I know you posted that diagram as an example only.........

As far as the hydroboost and working off of flow alone, I still don't think that is correct. Otherwise, there would be nothing to work against that nitrogen filled accumulator for reserve boost. I may be wrong on this one, but ultimately, the worst that could happen if you installed it like that is that the hydroboost would either work properly, or it would not.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

It's quite possible to just run power brakes, but adding power steering is so easy (regardless of axle), so why not do it all in one shot?