Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tach add-on

Default Tach add-on

Got a question for you guys.
    My truck is bone stock but I would like to add a small out-of -the-way tachometer for the engine. I know it hooks up to the distributor somehow but how would I go about making some very small un-noticeable mods to add in a tach? Gauge placement I can work out but I don't know how or where to tap into the dist.
    I have the stock ignitor housing in place and so far it's run/starts like a peach. I don't want to mess that up in the process.
    Thanks.

take a look at these, no larger than a hobbs meter and just wrap the lead around a plug wire and your ..tachin

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
    Mineral Estate Grantee

Do you want it for under the hood or for driving? If for driving you could do something like this:

That way you could buy s full sized tach and put it right in the dash looking stock.
    As to the wiring hook up if I remember right you should have wires for a ground, dash light, switched power, and the last hooks up to the negative side of the coil. Not sure how that would work with a stock coil-inside-the-distributer military unit, but that is how to hook up a tach

I bet a shrewd person coud drill a just big enough for the wire hole in that big hex plug on top of the stock ignitor and run a wire through it to coil negative...be easy to undo with a spare hex plug...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

5qtr, nice gauges, 'prolly go with something that looks pretty close to stock

BBM, I've always liked those gauge plates with extra holes, just don't have any good way to make one. I'll probably use a 2" and just add it to the column near the turn signal.

Jon, that is a great idea! Just drill a hole through the brass hexnut on top of the dist. and route the wire through that. Why didn't I think of it?!!!! Pot it in with some black silicone and nobody would even notice I bet. Good one, thanks.

Hey Tracy,

Why not buy an extra guage plate, enlarge the hole where the high beam light is and mount the tach there?

I really like the idea of drilling the hex nut on the ignitor. Simply and sweet.
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Drilling the hex nut would be the ticket. And put a packard connector on it. Replace the fuel guage with the tachometer. The fuel guage never works right anyway.

Joe, I actually like the idea of drilling out the high beam and adding the tach there.....another great idea.
    Kwai, hmmmmm I'll have to think about that one......but I kinow what you mean about never working right.

Take a couple pics and we can make a "add a tach" tech page!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

A buddy of mine added a non-original guage in his '69 428 Mustang on a hinged panel under the dash. When he is at a show it folds out of sight so it looks bone stock.