Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble starting

Default Trouble starting

For the last few weeks I have been having trouble with the Jeep starting. I put the starter switch in the "start" position and the electric fuel pump starts right up and the indicator shows plenty of juice. As soon as I step on the foot switch I just hear a click, but I can keep the switch down and the the truck starts to crank slowly. It will turn as if it a dead battery and then I can take my foot off the switch and push it down again, and this time it will crank like normal. Could this be the starter solenoid? Still running 24v through the 12v starter. Have never had a problem until it set for a long time without starting. The batteries are fully charged. Thanks.

Have you touched the terminals since all that trouble at Kwai's place 2 years ago? If not, pull them apart, clean them and see if it helps. Might be a good idea to pull the button from the floor and make sure the wires are held on tightly.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

rottiedogs Guest

Mine does the ames thing...... Haven't gotten around to looking into why.

Could this be a problem in the foot switch...carbon or gunk that burns off and as it does more and more juice flows to the starter?

Maybe just hook the battery cable to the starter cable direct and see if it spins like normal...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Sounds like a foot switch problem to me. do you have another switch you can use or maybe take it out and clean it good.

Tim, have two new batteries since that day. Two yellow top Optimas. I have pulled all connections and cleaned them. This includes the foot switch connections. I have not really looked into the foot switch itself. I do have another one that I can dig out to try.

Put in a different foot switch and the same thing happens. I cleaned all the connections and made sure everything is tight. I am thinking solenoid is the only thing that is left.

I am thinking the same thing...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'd give the solenoid a look and check the connections well. I suspect that a starter brush is getting worn to nearly its end though. That or a funky spot on the starter armature.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

My bet would be for the chebby solenoid - they give me fits on the 2.8l switched into my 'Zuki.