Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas tank drain rusted shut.

I have that feeling I'll be doing the same thing soon as I just started driving the truck. I was thinking of replacing the plug with an aviation quick drain if they are the same size. Some are pretty much flush-mount.

http://www.skygeek.com/qudrva.html

In airplanes they are placed in the lowest part of the fuel tank and fuel system to check for and/or remove impurities.

I used aircraft fuel tank epoxy to seal 3 pencil lead size holes in my tank, so far so good.

Default Drain

If you aren't going rock climbing, you may want a drain. I put a ball valve on mine so the tank can be drained easily. It's still higher then the axels however my truck will not be used off road in any way.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Default Gas Tank

I just drained and dropped my tank this week. It's at the radiator shop right now to get acid boiled and lined inside and out. Rather costly about $250.00 but tanks are not easy to come by. The tank was in very goog shape when I dropped it and I needed to anyways because my sending unit ground wire was broke and the fuel guage didn't register. My plug came right out with a 6 point box wrench.Powdered rust in tank but know debris at all. Lucky for me. Good luck. Militarypotts.

sorry for a couple of spelling error's. I'm on heavy doses of TAMAFLU because I was diagnosed yesterday with H1N1! I'll try to do better next post. Thanks
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Hey amigo if you have a rusted plug drain try coca cola the phosphoric acid will penetrate the threads and eat the rust...THEN us PB blaster and a wrench with a cheater bar ive loosened some pretty impossible bolts that way good luck dude. soak a shop rag in fresh coca cola and find a way(duck tape) or Ive even filled the gas tank part with with coca cola and then drained it out to remove rust.